Thread: How long can I go? And Hi!

Length
    19/21/30+
    Type
    1a/M/i

Default How long can I go? And Hi!

Hello there everyone!
    My hair has gotten quite long and I'm enjoying it! I lurked on this forum some years ago as I became interested in herbal haircare and having super long hair; the beautiful manes pictured on this forum inspired me a lot! But due to my hair type, oily and fairly fine, I struggled with no-poo and the boar bristle brush.. I couldn't figure out how to clean it effectively! So I stopped doing all that and just returned to washing my hair with regular head and shoulders and forgetting all about henna, kakao powder and hair teas. Fast foward to now, I've just spent the last couple of days watching hair science youtube videos and a long hair, no-poo channel. Taking notes and having lots of fun learning about hair. (I also know how to clean a BBB so I'm going to give that another go!)
    One thing I've learnt are that the hair strand has a hole in the end of it! So moisture just leaks out after a shower which leads to dry and split ends. To solve this issue you can create a seal on the tip of your hair by lightly coating your ends with an oil! So when people complain that their hair isn't growing, it's that their hair is breaking off at the ends at almost the same rate it is growing! But you don't really notice your ends breaking off, as they don't leave much visible evidence of it happening. To summarise: coating your ends in oil allows them to retain moisture which keeps them strong and healthy, resulting in visible hair length!
    I love learning how things work in the world around us and I hope to someday have a career in science. I am currently battling a chronic illness so am unable to work but hopefully I will get the surgery I need to resolve my symptoms soon. In the meantime I keep myself busy by getting hyperfocused about random things such as haircare or a game. It gets pretty lonely here though so I'm hoping to step out of my comfort zone and actually interact with people here about a shared interest!
    Anyway, greetings all! I hope you're all doing well!

Length
    cbl/mbl/hl
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: How long can I go? And Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by Ddeathflower View Post
    Hello there everyone!
    My hair has gotten quite long and I'm enjoying it! I lurked on this forum some years ago as I became interested in herbal haircare and having super long hair; the beautiful manes pictured on this forum inspired me a lot! But due to my hair type, oily and fairly fine, I struggled with no-poo and the boar bristle brush.. I couldn't figure out how to clean it effectively! So I stopped doing all that and just returned to washing my hair with regular head and shoulders and forgetting all about henna, kakao powder and hair teas. Fast foward to now, I've just spent the last couple of days watching hair science youtube videos and a long hair, no-poo channel. Taking notes and having lots of fun learning about hair. (I also know how to clean a BBB so I'm going to give that another go!)
    One thing I've learnt are that the hair strand has a hole in the end of it! So moisture just leaks out after a shower which leads to dry and split ends. To solve this issue you can create a seal on the tip of your hair by lightly coating your ends with an oil! So when people complain that their hair isn't growing, it's that their hair is breaking off at the ends at almost the same rate it is growing! But you don't really notice your ends breaking off, as they don't leave much visible evidence of it happening. To summarise: coating your ends in oil allows them to retain moisture which keeps them strong and healthy, resulting in visible hair length!
    I love learning how things work in the world around us and I hope to someday have a career in science. I am currently battling a chronic illness so am unable to work but hopefully I will get the surgery I need to resolve my symptoms soon. In the meantime I keep myself busy by getting hyperfocused about random things such as haircare or a game. It gets pretty lonely here though so I'm hoping to step out of my comfort zone and actually interact with people here about a shared interest!
    Anyway, greetings all! I hope you're all doing well!
    Hi!! you seem to really know your stuff & I admire that. I am also a huge fan of oil and I ALWAYS have oil on my ends. Sorry to hear about your illness goodluck with your surgery!! & welcome back.

Length
    16/38/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Hi and welcome! I don't have anything to add about the no poo method because I haven't tried it but there are a lot of great posts on here to take a deep dive into in your spare time! I have very fine hair and sadly can't use a BBB. My husband surprised me with a Mason Pearson a few years ago and it just sits in a drawer. Every time I use it it tears my hair up unfortunately. I do love my wet/dry brush though, it doesn't pull or scratch my scalp. Oiling my ends has been the best thing I've done to reach the length I have with fine, thin hair. I change up my oil all the time but seem to always go back to argan oil. What is your favorite?

I'm sorry to hear about your illness but glad you found something to keep busy during this time!
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL

Length
    19/21/30+
    Type
    1a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by eunioa View Post
    Hi!! you seem to really know your stuff & I admire that. I am also a huge fan of oil and I ALWAYS have oil on my ends. Sorry to hear about your illness goodluck with your surgery!! & welcome back.
    Hi there! Thank you! I really struggled with oily hair in my youth so I tried the no-poo method to try and 'train' my scalp to produce less oil. :'D Turns out it doesn't work that way, but I learnt a lot about hair in the meantime and now I intend to learn some more! Mostly based in science this time. Thankfully my oil glands have calmed down so I can actually go longer than 2 days without looking like an oil slick. Although I haven't purchased any oil I have been using my own scalp oil on my ends when I remember to haha. I'm going to get some less dirty oil, perhaps argan oil, and dutifully oil my ends everyday! xD
    Thank you for the wellwishes and sympathy. I've been suffering for so long, even though I'm still waiting to actually be offered the surgery I need, I can see a glimmer of light at the end of this tunnel.
    And thank you again! I can't believe I made this account way back in 2014! It feels like so long ago! And I feel so old haha.

Quote Originally Posted by sipnsun View Post
    Hi and welcome! I don't have anything to add about the no poo method because I haven't tried it but there are a lot of great posts on here to take a deep dive into in your spare time! I have very fine hair and sadly can't use a BBB. My husband surprised me with a Mason Pearson a few years ago and it just sits in a drawer. Every time I use it it tears my hair up unfortunately. I do love my wet/dry brush though, it doesn't pull or scratch my scalp. Oiling my ends has been the best thing I've done to reach the length I have with fine, thin hair. I change up my oil all the time but seem to always go back to argan oil. What is your favorite?

I'm sorry to hear about your illness but glad you found something to keep busy during this time!
    Hello and thank you! Oho I shall! I love deep dives, I will quite happily watch a 5 hour long youtube video about an obscure video game, or read about hair for hours. xD I don't remember how my hair liked the BBB as I didn't use it long enough to find out but I now know there are alternatives but I don't think any are quite as effective as distributing oil like the BBB. There's actually a lot more depth to choosing the right BBB for your hair than I first thought, as I am just now reading about it! Apparently for fine hair you need a brush with wide set, second cut bristles. They also are not for detangling, that should be done first; then use the BBB to smooth and add shine to the hair. I have no idea whether the one I got before was good quality or not but i'll do proper research this time before buying!
    Argan oil is the oil I used last time and I think my hair liked it, or at least tolerated it! I'm excited to try some more herbs and oils and take care of my hair. xD Gotta get me another bottle of apple cider vinegar <3 I love the smell of vinegar for some reason and I definitely think it helped make my hair shiny and tangle less before.
    I think we actually have almost the same hair type which is cool! Hair twinsies?
    Thank you! I am very good at distracting myself at this point so i'm going to keep going. Just waiting for medical treatment haha :')

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome back!

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    19/21/30+
    Type
    1a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    Welcome back!
    Thank you TatsuOni! (I love your signature image! Such a awesome look! xD)

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy, good to meet you! And I hope you are able to get that surgery soon <3 Chronic illness sucks!

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ddeathflower View Post
    Thank you TatsuOni! (I love your signature image! Such a awesome look! xD)
    Thank you!

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    19/21/30+
    Type
    1a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    Howdy, good to meet you! And I hope you are able to get that surgery soon <3 Chronic illness sucks!
    Nice to meet you too! I really hope so as well, just trying to get ahold of my doctor at the moment is a struggle and he's literally the only doctor in this country that will operate on my condition. :'3 It does indeed, i've just gotta keep truckin' for now.