Thread: Trying to invest in myself

Length
    -/8 in/-
    Type
    2b/F/M/i/ii

Default Trying to invest in myself

Hello all. I found my way here researching henna for hair. I hennaed once, about 15 years ago, and while I liked it, I didn't stick with it. I also see that the science around henna has come a long ways since then. I have always favored being a redhead (I am a natural darker brunette). But I haven't used anything (colorwise) other than arctic fox in about 4 years.

I got a perm about 2 years ago, with 2 root perms, my latest approx 6 months ago. I got the perm to mimic my natural wave pattern, and I found it much easier to work with and have consistent results. Prior to that I did the curly girl method for about 3 years, having my best results at the beginning of my CG journey (which also coincided with my lovely, full postpartum mane). I was never able to recreate that early CG success, and I think it must have me the hormones that altered the hair which grew during the pregnancy. I was beautiful.

Alas, It has thinned a lot, but it's not thin. I wore it long for several years (long by my standards, which is bra strap, and not long by many of the standards here). I cut it between chin and shoulder length about 6 months ago, but it hasn't been trimmed since (except for the accidental too large chunk I cut out this morning to strand test some henna). Even with the perm (my stylist chose a more gentle formula) my hair appears shiny and healthy, but I think I will give the perms up, and just let my hair do what it wants. (Also have read that hennaing and perms may not play well together. I am considering an even shorter cut, to get ride of all the hair that has the perm left in it, which would give me a short bob with short layers.

Anyway, if you read all my ramblings, thank you and I hope you all have a wonderful day and weekend!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Trying to invest in myself

While it's fun that there are so many options of things we can do with our hair, sometimes it's hard to decide exactly what we want. That's my experience, anyway. Good luck, have fun, welcome.

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Hi and welcome!
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy, good to meet you! I'm also a dark brunette henna-head, although my natural color already has reddish highlights so it isn't really visible on my hair, lol.