Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Luxury/High-end Product Directory

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Smile Luxury/High-end Product Directory

Hello! I'm back with a new project, collecting reviews/making a directory for luxury and high-end hair products!

Over the years I've occasionally picked up a travel size bottle of a luxury product just because I'm curious what the fuss is about, even though full size has never really been within my budget. I thought it could be interesting to start building a directory for short reviews of luxury products for anyone who is curious. It seems most of us on this platform do drugstore products for the most part so I thought a luxury thread could be interesting to see what the products are all about without necessarily having to try them out yourself...

Also, what "luxury" or "high-end" is might be different to each person depending on income, social background etc. etc. Everyone's opinion is welcome but please don't say like "OGX? That's NOT luxury!" You never know, you could make someone feel really self-conscious about it.

If you want, use the template below for your review.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Product:

Your hair type/hair concerns:

Overall assessment:

Pros:

Cons:

Score out of five:

Worth the price?:

I'll link the reviews in the A-Z below. If there's more than one review I'll either link "post 1" and "post 2" or different product lines or something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ A-Z LUXURY PRODUCTS ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alterna Caviar Anti-aging Replenishing Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner
    Balmain Paris Hair Couture Silk Perfume
    Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair Deep Conditioning Mask
    Briogeo Scalp Revival Micro-Exfoliating Shampoo
    Briogeo Matcha + Apple Shampoo and Kale + Apple Conditioner
    Bumble & Bumble Thickening line
    DryBar Detox Dry Shampoo
    DryBar On the Rocks Clarifying Charcoal Shampoo
    GHD Wetline Bodyguard Heat Protect Spray
    K18 Leave-In Molecular Repair Hair Mask
    Kerastase 8H Magic Nigh Hair Serum
    Kerastase Masque Intense Regenerant Hair Mask
    Kerastase Premiere line
    Kiehl's Amino Acid Conditioner
    Nuxe l'Huile Prodigeuse 1, 2
    Living Proof Restore shampoo and conditioner
    Olaplex No. 3
    Oribe Gold Lust line 1, 2
    Redken Extreme line
    Sachajuan Hair repair
    Sachajuan Normal hair line

(Also PS: long time no see! Short recap for anyone who is curious - maxed out at mid-thigh/fingertip, chopped in 2022, maintained at shoulder for awhile, currently mid-back growing to waist)
    Last edited by Siv; March 7th, 2024 at 09:04 AM.
    2008: 24cm/10" 2015: 41cm/16" 2022: 120cm/48" // 2022: 52cm/21"
    instagram

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Luxury/High-end Product Directory

Product: Balmain Paris Hair Couture Silk Perfume

Your hair type/hair concerns: fine, dense, tangly, weak wave pattern, low-porosity

Overall assessment: Highly fragranced serum. Makes my hair greasy. Very sweet fragrance. Personally not a fan of the fragrance.

Pros: lightweight, nice if you like sweet fragrance

Cons: not light enough for my hair, only basic benefits of any silicone serum

Score out of five: 2/5

Worth the price? No.

instagram

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Product: Bumble & Bumble Thickening line - shampoo, condish, mask, pre-styler spray

Your hair type/hair concerns: fine, dense, tangly, weak wave pattern, low-porosity, at the time shoulder-length

Overall assessment: All of them at the same time? No difference than just the S + C. Spray with other products? No effect. Mask with other shampoo? Decent.

Pros: The mask was decently detangling and volumising, S + C decent volumising products

Cons: funky smell, saw no difference with the spray, not detangling enough at longer lengths for me

Score out of five: 2.5/5

Worth the price? The mask - Meh.

instagram

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Product: GHD Wetline Bodyguard Heat Protect Spray

Your hair type/hair concerns: fine, dense, tangly, weak wave pattern, low-porosity

Overall assessment: Honestly the smell is amazing?! Does its job methinks, not sure how to gauge its effectiveness but my hair seems ok?

Pros: the smell omg, detangling effect on my hair, fine mist that sprays evenly

Cons: price point maybe if you use a lot of heat protectant but ok for me as I don't use a tonne

Score out of five: 4.5/5

Worth the price? For me - yes

instagram

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Product: Nuxe l'Huile Prodigeuse

Overall assessment: almondy flowery fragrance, dry oil, comes in a big bottle for a hair oil

Pros: strong fragrance, and smells good, big bottle, lightweight

Cons: easy to drop bottle when your hands are oily, too heavy for my hair

Score out of five: 3/5

Worth the price? Yes

instagram

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Product: Oribe Gold Lust line: Goldlust Repair & Restore Shampoo + Conditioner, Gold Lust Transformative Masque

Overall assessment: Only needed about two peasize dollops of shampoo for my entire scalp, rich lather, detangling but very lightweight shampoo and conditioner

Pros: a tiny bit goes a looong way, lightweight + detangling, nice fragrance

Cons: fragrance is very mild, and then the price point. Jeez.
    - Fullsize 250 ml / 8.5 fl oz shampoo bottle 615 SEK / 55€ / 60$.
    - Fullsize 200 ml / 6.5 fl oz conditioner 650 SEK / 58€ / 63$.
    - Fullsize 150 ml / 5 fl oz masque 775 SEK / 70€ / 75$

Score out of five: 4/5

Worth the price? I mean... It's super nice and luxurious and I'll probably get like 25 washes out of a 75 ml travel size shampoo but full size is just not within my budget

instagram

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Product: Sachajuan Normal Hair line: Normal Hair shampoo + condish; Sachajuan Hair repair treatment

Overall assessment: very lightweigh overall, not very long lasting, didn't do much at all, felt like normal hair = doesn't need any hair care benefits at all

Pros: lightweight

Cons: not repairing, not moisturising, not anything really?

Score out of five: 1/5

Worth the price?: No

instagram

Length
    buzz/wl/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

hey, hope you don't mind me joining! i got a few more on the way so i'll put a review here once they arrive

Product: Nuxe l'Huile Prodigeuse

Your hair type/hair concerns: very fine, thin, curly, tangly, low porosity, damaged ends

Overall assessment: i wasn't sure it was meant for hair at first, it looks luxurious, but i don't like the smell at all - too strong and feminine in a bad way, interferes with perfume. surprisingly it's silicone free

Pros: nice bottle?

Cons: smell, and honestly this felt the same as "cheaper" oils do in my hair, like jojoba, argan or even mineral oil, or a mixture of them. they tend to soak into my ends but make the hair right above them too greasy, which is exactly what happened with this oil. hard to find the balance between it doing nothing and weighing my hair down. it kind of made me think that silicone free hair oils have a limit in what they can do for fine hair. honestly, even without considering the price it's not worth it for me and i feel like this type of oil can be diy-able for cheap.

Score out of five: 1/5

Worth the price? No

Length
    buzz/wl/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Product: Redken Extreme shampoo + Redken Extreme conditioner

Your hair type/hair concerns: very fine, thin, curly, tangly, low porosity, damaged ends

Overall assessment: this is meant to be a protein treatment, i read that a lot of people who like it use it a few times a month and not every wash. it's said to help hair that's damaged from bleach or heat treatments. it smells kind of sharp and salon-y but it's not too bothersome.

Pros: thoroughly cleans without drying out and a little goes a long way, makes hair softer but not frizzy. it also managed to make my velcro ends feel like normal hair!

Cons: only afterwards i realised i have protein sensitive hair so i don't have much use for this - so be mindful of that before you get a sample or buy the whole thing, it's not meant to be for everyone. it made my hair very soft and feathery without too much frizz or dryness but it also stretched out my curls (just in the middle), probably because of too much protein. however i can see how this is a great product for some!

Score out of five: 3,5/5

Worth the price? not for me but if you need protein this is worth it.

Length
    buzz/wl/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Product: Olaplex no. 3

Your hair type/hair concerns: very fine, thin, curly, tangly, low porosity, damaged ends (mechanical damage mostly)

Overall assessment: okay, everyone is raving about this one. it's said to actually fix your hair unlike everything else on the market, it doesn't moisturize but fixes damage. the bottle says to put it on your hair from root to end, but unless you bleach your hair you only need it on the actually damaged parts. i tried leaving it on from 10 mins to overnight. smells kind of unremarkable like hair product. there's a lot of fakes out there even on sites like amazon, so probably don't buy it second hand

Pros: it does make damaged hair feel alive and fixes velcro ends for some time. if you only use it on the ends, the bottle can last way longer so i recommend that.

Cons: theoretically the effect should be permanent (i think labmuffin said this) but in practice it lasts maybe 3 weeks until they're back where they were (maybe it's because mechanical damage makes bigger "cracks" in your hair that olaplex can fix and it works better on bleach damage but idk) (the official olaplex site for hairdressers says it lasts about a month too). it also makes the hair drier (that's where the horror stories of it damaging hair come from) so you should do a mask afterwards anyway. i know many people have this as their only high end product (because of the promise of it actually doing something) but honestly i feel like if you only splurge on one thing, get a good leave in conditioner, oil, or a good mask and you're better off. also don't buy the rest of the line (including olaplex 0) for damage repair, those don't have high enough concentration of the active chemical to do anything.

Score out of five: 4/5

Worth the price? No