Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello! Excited newbie

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Wink Hello! Excited newbie

Hi everyone!
    Im super excited about starting my hair journey and being here, so as my introduction ill share the story of what lead me here

The longest hair i ever had was waist length when i was about 13, i was forced to grow it out so i hated it because amongst other things, i was bullied about it and i was SUPER excited to finally cut it when my mom let me.

Between then and 2020 i did a lot of different short hairstyles and every color of the rainbow before finally shaving it entirely off during covid. I LOVED having a shaved head because it was 0 maintenance and admittedly thought it suited me pretty well! It was also a godsend for summer heat.

Sadly with how my life is i cant look like that all the time, so to be a responsible adult ive been growing it out again, and ive decided hey, if ive been to one extreme, why not try the other? I also figured id be paying homage to little me who hated her hair by going a full circle back to it (and longer!) Since shaving my head ive started considering my hair as an extension of myself and its kind of mediative and almost spiritual to be taking care of it and patiently watching it regrow and i am very excited to see where the process takes me heres what im working with right now!

My hair is normally really thin and gets oily very easily, usually i have to wash it every 2 days, but now with starting accutane ive been able to stretch it to 4 days. It falls out a LOT which makes me believe that if i combated that, it has the potential to be thicker.

Sorry for the long post! And sorry if i messed anything up , id love any tips and advice both for my hair and for the forum!

Length
    MBL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: Hello! Excited newbie

Your hair is growing in really well! Welcome to the forum Do you think your shedding is related to taking accutane or has it always done that? Hair loss can be a side effect. Your hair doesn't look thin to me though, just a normal density.
    One thing to keep in mind is that if stretching washes makes your scalp itchy, irritated or flaky, you should actually wash it more often, as the inflammation from having a dirty scalp can contribute to hair loss. I also have fine oily hair and it's hard to find a balance cause regular washing is good for my scalp but not so much my damaged strands! At the moment I wash every second day, but was washing daily for about a year.

Best of luck on your hair growth journey!

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

Welcome! What a beautiful hair journey. Every strand of hair is in a different growth phase, so it's normal to have some shedding. It's also possible your new medication maybe causing more hair fall.You may want to check with a prescribing Dr if it's concerning.

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Thank you! the shedding is definitely not medicine related, its always like this
    However i didnt know the itchiness thing! Now that you mention it, it does always fall out more at that stage! Back to washing once every 3 days i guess

Length
    APL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I hated being bald! It was the one thing about chemo I was really dreading (I had breast cancer. Nearly five years cancer free, but still have to be on Letrozole until September of next year, which is the same year I have to get my driver's license renewed, but that's in July), since I have this bone on the back of my head that sticks out too much if it's not covered by hair. It's grown back now, but a few shades darker than it used to be (strawberry blonde/red). It's now light to medium golden brown, natural not dyed (since I haven't dyed my hair since 2005 when I dyed it a darker shade of red, since I was still strawberry blonde at the time).

I got teased for my hair too, but it had nothing to do with the length (which wasn't any longer than shoulder length, since my Mom just didn't like dealing with it. I didn't start growing it long until I graduated from high school) but because mine was probably prettier than theirs (I have natural curl, that got a bit curlier after coming back from chemo), so they tried to convince me I had spiders in my hair (tarantulas, if I recall). Don't you think I would feel them if that were the case, but I wasn't as tough back then as I am now.
    No friend requests, please. I won't accept them
    No trimming 2024: 11 January - 30 June
    APL - ​MBL - WL

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your progress!
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy! I like your attitude--why not explore both extremes?

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Hello! Welcome to LHC!

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Great introduction, always nice to read some backstory

welcome!

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights