Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henna removal gimmick?

Length
    SL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Henna removal gimmick?

Hi all

I’m curious - I’ve seen a couple of ways of supposedly removing henna and indigo on the web and wondered if anyone had tried them?

Method 1. Wash hair with clarifying shampoo twice, put vodka on hair and leave for 15 mins. Wash hair twice again and leave suds on second wash on for 5 mins before rinsing.

Method 2. Put 4 tablespoons of baking soda into a large bowl of water. Dunk hair in it and squeeze off excess. Throw water away and refill with water/baking soda. Do 4 or 5 times. Then next day put juice of 7 lemons on your hair and then rinse after 30 mins. Do not shampoo for 2 or 3 days because it will still be stripping colour apparently.

Both are reported to remove henna and indigo and lighten hair.

Just wondered if anyone has heard of these before, and what your thoughts are?.

I’ll be honest, I am tempted but am also concerned about my hair melting or something daft
    Last edited by Flossiebell; April 16th, 2024 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Clarification

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Henna removal gimmick?

Ohh...these sound like a sure-fire way to really dry the hair out. (Vodka being high in alcohol and lemon juice being very drying) And I'm not sure how well they would remove henna (and especially indigo!)

There is a thread on here about henna removal with ColorOops (Thread here), but I have never heard of a method to get rid of indigo successfully. I have done the ColorOops method on 2-step henna-indigo hair, but it really didn't do that much, if I remember right.
    Bleaching really won't touch indigo (ask me how I know lol), and all it can really do is lighten the color underneath henna (which I've done before with success when my henna went too dark).

I'll be curious to hear if anyone else chimes in, though!

Length
    SL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Yes, it does sound very drying so would need some serious moisture putting back afterwards. Plus it sounds like it could be a huge waste of vodka - I’m not sure I could do that! Hahaha

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Depending on the vodka, it might even smell pretty yummy! (Or pretty gross! hahah!)

Length
    Buzz/Buzz/Calf+

My advice to someone as someone who screws their hair on a regular basis ( aka me) wouldn't put Vodka in My hair

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Lawsone binds COVALENTLY (i.e. IRREVERSIBLY) to hair protein. Anything present not in "excess" will NOT wash out. It's PERMANENT. Cleaving such bonds requires scissors
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    22/22/26
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

No way. I did get some results with Color Oops and Sun In but just a lightening of the henna. NOTHING takes henna out, LOL.

Vodka definitely won't do it. Vodka and a sandblaster, maybe.

Length
    BSL/HL/SDL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Nah, those "home remedies" don't do much except dry your hair. A couple of rounds of colour oops might lighten it a bit, but all of it is never gonna come out
    I'm fine
    Lady Sarana, Ranger of the Eastern Hills in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/HL/SDL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Oh I see from the other thread that you've already tried colour remover.

I'm thinking of doing a bit of bleach (like 1 shade) and then an ashy AF toner
    I'm fine
    Lady Sarana, Ranger of the Eastern Hills in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Definitely not vodka
    Baking soda mixed with clarifying shampoo is reported to strip the regular dye but I don't think it will work on henna.
    Personally I had most success with my Coca-Cola and coconut oil method
    But it's a long-term procedure
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights