Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jade comb

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Default Jade comb

This is new to me, anyone ever used one? I'm intrigued because I do stone carving and I was thinking of trying to make one, or a decorative hair comb or sticks. http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1268754

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

it looks pretty! I don't know anything about it though unfortunetly.
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    10 in/14.5/27 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i

I want one, it looks awesome. I'm betting (speculation here) that it might be pretty good for the hair too. Maybe better than my beloved peachwood combs, or horn combs for that matter. Polished stone has a such a smooth surface that it probably doesnt disturb the cuticle at all!! Too bad the shipping is insane
    'You are the master of the spoken word! Once it has left your tongue you are it's slave' -Krushchev - I've opted out of the friends program - please no requests -

Type
    1c/M/ii

You will get lucky! No crack. It was all "craved" by hand. Ha ha. Sorry. Couldn't resist. It looks very nice. Probably extremely smooth. Don't want to lose that one in the toy void.
    Maybe my worst haircut ever.
    Cleaned up and collar length by Christmas

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I had gotten one for a friend and was dismayed to find that the teeth had been cut out, but not polished in between them. I'm sure you can find ones that are polished around each tooth, but it's something to be careful.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I own a jade comb. I've examined it thoroughly, and its hand carved. The design of it (despite the comb being highly decorated) is for combing hair and not wearing. Combined with the texture of the stone and even with the polishing my comb has, jade is NOT something I would want my comb to be made of and while it may not ruin your hair, you'd be far better with a horn or carved plastic resin comb.

I don't recommend buying a jade comb unless its carved to be pretty and you only want it to have it, not to use it.

Jade is also very brittle and fragile. It is easy to break.

Length
    pixie/waist/tb
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

It's very beautiful but the texture of stone erodes away keratin such as that in hair and nails. After all walking over stone and sand is how animals in the wild keep their claws trim.
    With fine hair especially from my experience a nice horn comb is the best thing.

Length
    10 in/14.5/27 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i

Delilah - My dogs walk on concrete to keep their nails down. My cats use my furniture. I dont know how much polished jade is around for animals of the wild to walk on really. I don't know that without either trying the jade comb, or at least comparing jade/horn under a microscope, to tell which would be better.
    Akurah why did you not like yours? You didnt really specify...Was it because the teeth were not smooth? What made you unhappy about it, I'm am respectfully curious
    (as my hand is hovering over the BUY NOW box in the next tab)
    'You are the master of the spoken word! Once it has left your tongue you are it's slave' -Krushchev - I've opted out of the friends program - please no requests -

Length
    pixie/waist/tb
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

This is why I stated 'in my experience' horn is best.
    If it is perfectly polished between the tines I imagine it would be as smooth as a seamless plastic comb, but if it is less than perfect it may be rough on hair. Any stone precious or otherwise is harder than keratin.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by alys View Post
    Delilah - My dogs walk on concrete to keep their nails down. My cats use my furniture. I dont know how much polished jade is around for animals of the wild to walk on really. I don't know that without either trying the jade comb, or at least comparing jade/horn under a microscope, to tell which would be better.
    Akurah why did you not like yours? You didnt really specify...Was it because the teeth were not smooth? What made you unhappy about it, I'm am respectfully curious
    (as my hand is hovering over the BUY NOW box in the next tab)
    I don't dislike it, I like it plenty. I bought it because it was carved to be beautiful, and I never had intent to comb my hair with it.

When I DID get it, the texture of the stone alone, running my fingers across it and across even the polished parts? I'm pretty confidant when I state that jade isn't a good material to comb your hair with. Even the tines, between them, the stone is sharp enough to damage hair despite being polished pretty thoroughly.

Not to mention how fragile jade is--for example, you can sit on a well carved horn comb or a well carved plastic resin comb, and the comb won't break. Jade WILL break if you sat on it. It's just.. it's better as jewelry and decoration. Not for hair combing. I wouldn't recommend a jade comb to anyone who actually intends to use it on their hair as opposed to simply own it to have it--the odds of getting a comb, regardless of how polished, with tines too sharp for the hair are too high.

Continuing on the fragile front, if the tines are even the least bit thin, I have no doubt a tangle in the hair would be more than capable of breaking jade.