Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 2666

Thread: Castor oil for hair growth?

Length
    Bob/Apl/Class
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: Castor oil for hair growth?

Quote Originally Posted by pink.sara View Post
    Hmm, everyone seems to have really good reports from using it which makes me want to give it another go. I can slather my hair in coconut oil and wash it out with one shampoo normally so I thought a dilution would be better.
    Maybe I'll do it neat and really try just to use a teeny bit! I did put on enough to soak my roots and a good inch of hair!! Doh!
    When i apply castor oil/evoo or grapeseed oil 50/50 i usually leave the conditioner on a while when in the shower,and then add water to it, lather it up rinse, and keep lathering,rinsing. This seems to remove most if not all of the oil. I wouldnt dare use the castor oil neat as i fear it would be a whole world of stickiness! Let us know how it goes if you use it neat.
    Last edited by BohoClassic; August 29th, 2011 at 05:37 AM.

Length
    EL/BSL/WL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by C.H. View Post
    Hey, ladies. I just wanted to check in and say that I have been using castor oil on my lashes, brows, and along my hairline (I had some minor thinning around my temples, as well as some breakage there I wanted to grow out more quickly) and am pleased with the results. My hairline has thickened up nicely and below are some before and after photos of my eyes and brows. The photos were taken six weeks apart. I try to apply it every night, but I often I miss nights, and there have been a couple periods within the six weeks where I stopped for a week or so.

Wow those are amazing results, you inspired me to try as well! I have almost no eyebrow hair, people always think I pluck them... I started yesterday and will apply castor oil every night, I'll let you know the results...
    Ear - Chin - *cut out layers* - SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL
    Yarok low poo alternating with BodyShop Rainforest Shine CO - Rosemary/ACV rinse - Coconut oil once a week

Length
    HL/38TBL/CLSC?
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by giuditta View Post
    Wow those are amazing results, you inspired me to try as well! I have almost no eyebrow hair, people always think I pluck them... I started yesterday and will apply castor oil every night, I'll let you know the results...
    Yeah, the difference in my eyebrows is much more noticeable in person. It caught me off guard actually. When I wear full makeup, I usually fill in the brows a bit with a pencil, particularly the outer half beyond the arch. Then a couple of weeks ago, I started with the pencil as usual, and I was like, ugh, it's too dark, why does it look so dark?? Then, I remembered--the castor oil. They really had filled in! I don't actually need the pencil anymore.

Length
    EL/BSL/WL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by C.H. View Post
    Yeah, the difference in my eyebrows is much more noticeable in person. It caught me off guard actually. When I wear full makeup, I usually fill in the brows a bit with a pencil, particularly the outer half beyond the arch. Then a couple of weeks ago, I started with the pencil as usual, and I was like, ugh, it's too dark, why does it look so dark?? Then, I remembered--the castor oil. They really had filled in! I don't actually need the pencil anymore.
    That is amazing! Unfortunately my hairs are really blond too, almost transparent, although the hair on my head is not. I have been drawing my eyebrows with a pencil for years, not just filling but actually drawing the whole thing!
    Look this is what they look like without makeup...

Anything better than this I'm already happy with, castor do your work please!
    Yarok low poo alternating with BodyShop Rainforest Shine CO - Rosemary/ACV rinse - Coconut oil once a week

Length
    HL/38TBL/CLSC?
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by giuditta View Post
    That is amazing! Unfortunately my hairs are really blond too, almost transparent, although the hair on my head is not. I have been drawing my eyebrows with a pencil for years, not just filling but actually drawing the whole thing!
    Look this is what they look like without makeup...

Anything better than this I'm already happy with, castor do your work please!
    I hope it works just as well for you! Please post after photos if you notice a difference.

I've read a bit on the interweb about using castor oil on the lashes to promote growth, and the general wisdom (outside LHC) is that if castor oil is effective only in that it conditions and strengthens the lashes so that they actually reach their full terminal length without breaking or falling out, but that it does not actually enhance growth. Many suggest that regular application of any number oils would would work similarly well in conditioning and strengthening the lashes.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I just want to say that based on my experiment, this is not the case! Castor oil is not just conditioning my existing hair, but is actually making it grow longer/faster and reactivating dormant follicles. I know this because:

a. Gaps I've had in my brows and lashes for as long as I can remember have filled in. I have not been abusing my eyebrows in any way that would kill off hair follicles, yet I'm growing hairs now where I never was before.

b. I have to pluck my eyebrows much more often now. This is clearly not a matter of conditioning existing hairs. Hairs that I've plucked away reappear much sooner than they used to.

Now, I've also read that camellia and emu oils are effective for lash growth as well. I'm curious about trying those. I like the idea of creating a custom oil blend for my lashes if it turns out that one of these other oils has similar effects as castor.

ETA: I also want to add that a few weeks after I started the castor oil routine on my lashes a woman at work complimented me on my lashes--for the first time, ever, in my life. It's rather thrilling to be complimented on something that no one's ever mentioned before.
    Last edited by C.H.; August 29th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.

Length
    EL/BSL/WL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Your pictures absolutely speak for themselves, nothing on the web can contest that for me...
    Doesn't it irritate your eyes when you put it on your lashes, how do you do that? Don't you get a greasy film in your eyes like with some eye makeup removers?

I have a mix of castor and sweet almond oil on my scalp and hair right now, I hope I can wash it out and it won't look greasy...

Length
    16/19/30
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii

I was due for a clarifying wash today so decided to use castor oil for the first time. My hair is going through a 2 year shed so instead of applying to my whole scalp, I just applied to my front hairline and worked well into the temples. But.....I applied it undiluted. I was curious how it would wash. Avalon Organics Clarifying shampoo, and treseme naturals avacado conditioner got it all out. And I was quite heavy handed with the oil. My hair feels extra soft and not at all greasy. Will dilute with coconut oil next week and apply to whole scalp and will feed back. I have been applying castor oil to my eyebrows for a while now in the hope that I can bin the eyebrow pencil

Length
    22/26.5/34+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I got soo excited reading about how much castor oil helps that I just ran out and got a bottle!

I am excited to try. I'm pretty obsessed with mascara to make my lashes look fuller and thicker. I hope this works!

Also, I will test it out on my scalp for hair growth since the results sound encouraging. I recently had to chop 3" of hair off that I couldn't repair, so the faster I can get to my old length, the better!! Normally I just use Vatika, Coconut oil or EVOO for oiling my hair, so it will be nice to try something new.

Length
    SL/SL+/?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

I just started experimenting with castor oil. I've now done 5 applications (spaced about 2-3 days apart each time) and I'm happy to report that I've gotten 2 cm of growth (roughly 3/4 inch if I'm calculating correctly) in just under a 2 week period. This is along with hair vitamins and just general healthy living (enough water, exercise, eating right(ish) ). I alternate between a 50:50 mix of castor oil /avocado oil and pimento oil with Jamaican black castor oil. I use roughly a tablespoon of oil(s) and apply it in the evening with a pointed tip applicator bottle and massage it in to my scalp. I leave it on overnight and wash it out the next morning. I have fine hair and have not had any problems washing it all out. My roots do get very greasy after application, I'm still trying to find the best way to get it more on my scalp then on my roots, but so far what I'm doing seems to be working. I'm curious to see how things go over the next few weeks, to see if this was a fluke or if this is truly helping. I'm anxious to try castor oil on my eyelashes too.
    No specific goal for now, just trying to practice benign neglect.

Length
    19/21.5/26
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Where do you guys buy your castor oil?

Past shoulder length, a little shy of APL