Page 12 of 267 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Castor oil for hair growth?

Length
    pixie/meh/Meh
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Re: Castor oil for hair growth?

I can just say that in person I noticed a definite, if slight, darkening effect.

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

After reading this whole thread, I started using castor oil + jojoba mix last week. I bought a small bottle of castor oil from Whole Foods for $4 (opaque blue bottle) and mixed it 2/3 castor + 1/3 jojoba. I find it's hard to get the oil to my scalp so am going to look for a tip point plastic bottle this weekend (which someone else here suggested is an easy way to apply oil to your scalp). Whole Foods sells 2 larger sizes of castor oil, but I wanted to try it for a while before committing to the big bottle.

What I didn't know about castor oil is that it's labeled as a stimulant (hence, its properties as an internal laxative). I'm assuming it works as a hair growth stimulant too in addition to being a good hair oil.

My method this week was to apply the mix 3 times/week and leave it on overnight. Don't laugh, but I use a clean Whole Foods vegetable bag as an oil cap by putting it on my head, tying up the ends and throwing it away in the morning.

I'm very pleased with the softness, although I need to find a better method to wash it out instead of 2 shampooings. Next time I'm going to try the suggestion about conditioning only to get wash it out.

I also apply a small amount of 100% castor oil nightly to my eyelashes. I've given up using mascara and hoping that castor oil will help the lashes to be moisturized and healthy -- and if there is some darkening side effect, great!

If the castor oil mix helps with hair growth (which I'm measuring twice monthly), I'll post it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    Last edited by BlueWaterRed; October 17th, 2009 at 06:18 AM.
    Inch by inch, step by step, slowly I grow ...

Length
    15"/23"/45"
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I found an interesting article about this: http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/10/20/117/

I'm using it even though there's no 'scientific evidence', my hair seems to like it a lot, it's softer and feels more conditioned after using castor oil (as opposed to just coconut oil). It looks shinier too, but maybe that part's just my imagination :-P

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWaterRed View Post
    After reading this whole thread, I started using castor oil + jojoba mix last week. I bought a small bottle of castor oil from Whole Foods for $4 (opaque blue bottle) and mixed it 2/3 castor + 1/3 jojoba. I find it's hard to get the oil to my scalp so am going to look for a tip point plastic bottle this weekend (which someone else here suggested is an easy way to apply oil to your scalp). Whole Foods sells 2 larger sizes of castor oil, but I wanted to try it for a while before committing to the big bottle.

What I didn't know about castor oil is that it's labeled as a stimulant (hence, its properties as an internal laxative). I'm assuming it works as a hair growth stimulant too in addition to being a good hair oil.

My method this week was to apply the mix 3 times/week and leave it on overnight. Don't laugh, but I use a clean Whole Foods vegetable bag as an oil cap by putting it on my head, tying up the ends and throwing it away in the morning.

I'm very pleased with the softness, although I need to find a better method to wash it out instead of 2 shampooings. Next time I'm going to try the suggestion about conditioning only to get wash it out.

I also apply a small amount of 100% castor oil nightly to my eyelashes. I've given up using mascara and hoping that castor oil will help the lashes to be moisturized and healthy -- and if there is some darkening side effect, great!

If the castor oil mix helps with hair growth (which I'm measuring twice monthly), I'll post it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    sounds like a good method. I hope it works for you and please keep us updated. I would love to use oils and such more often on my hair but it just means setting down and taking the time to do it. I need to start doing so

Quote Originally Posted by SeaPhoenix View Post
    I can just say that in person I noticed a definite, if slight, darkening effect.
    thanks great to hear. It makes me want to order some more shampoo bars!
    Last edited by Teacherbear; March 4th, 2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: merge 2 posts

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Well, I caved and bought a bottle (so cheap!); if my hair gets too dark I'll quit. I'm planning on using it more for the length than the scalp- some curlies have had good results mixing it with AVG as a frizz-reducing leave-in, so that's what I want to try.

I'm sorry to admit that I'm too lazy to keep up with regular scalp massages, but I'll probably try it for that too if I ever get around to it.

Length
    23/37hip/clsc
    Type
    2a/F/M/iii

One way I have made sure to find time to oil my scalp and hair is to keep it where I sit and read about hair the most Yup my castor/jojoba oil sits on My pc stand along with my brush I use to massage my scalp. I am trying this method as well. I used to just oil my scalp with whatever the day before wash. I am sticking to this blend for now. I added a few drops of rosemary as well for it's stimulating effects
    FaceBook
    Lady Artume, Keeper of the Sacred Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I'm going to start scalp massaging with a mix of coconut and castor oils. It sounds great.

Length
    24/24/36
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Thanks for these tips...I've got a mixture of 2 parts castor oil to 1 part EVOO in my hair at the moment, hoping to stop some of my major shedding issues.... I know this is an old thread, but I have to say that it's quite handy to run a search and find all the questions I could come up with already asked and answered over the course of the thread! Thank you so much, everybody!

~Em_Faye~

Castor oil is def good for shedding but have you tried tea rinse? It helps with the shedding (instantly).

Quote Originally Posted by Em_Faye View Post
    Thanks for these tips...I've got a mixture of 2 parts castor oil to 1 part EVOO in my hair at the moment, hoping to stop some of my major shedding issues.... I know this is an old thread, but I have to say that it's quite handy to run a search and find all the questions I could come up with already asked and answered over the course of the thread! Thank you so much, everybody!

~Em_Faye~

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I love castor oil. Well, for the most part I use any oil I can get my hands on, heavy ones on the scalp and lighter ones on the length. Just started using Castor oil (straight) on my scalp, about once a week. And after reading this, I just bounced to the bath and wiped some on my lash area. Gotta try it, right? I use a bottle from the health food store, by Home Health. It is cold pressed and processed, for external use only. It was about $4 for an ounce. Not sure if it helps with growth, but the more I oil the less I seem to shed. Ah, vanity.
    Over the hill is a beautiful valley. To get to that valley, you must climb that hill.