Page 165 of 267 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 2666

Thread: Castor oil for hair growth?

Length
    chin/-APL/waist

Default Re: Castor oil for hair growth?

I use either Khus Khus Body Butter with Jamaican Black Castor Oil or Jamaican Black Castor Oil Hair Food by Tropic Isle Living. Both are a buttery version of castor oil that in my opinion, are much easier to work with. Yes, you will still get some oil on your hair ends, but you can braid or put the length in a pony then wrap it with saran wrap to help minimize the travel to the length. I love the butter versions of everything!!!! I guess it seems more indulgent and luxurious to me

Length
    SL/APL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I have read a lot about castor oil on the internet and how it can be used for hair, skin and well almost everything it seems, so now i've started using it for my scalp, I'll be updating when I know how it works!

Length
    SL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I haven't noticed that much of a difference between castor oil and other oils when it comes to hair growth. That might be because I only use it once a week max, so probably not often enough to see noticable results. I do love to use it, on my scalp and on my length as well to protect it when I'm shampooing. I never have any trouble washing it out, CO or a light shampoo works fine for me but oil never really sticks to my hair.
    To make it thinner I like to mix it with olive oil, coconut oil or any other oil i have laying around and then heat it up (I ordered a bunch of different oils a month ago, so i have plenty of them to experiment --> for this reason i'm also involved in the 'use up your stash challenge' )

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TB
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig20 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. But did you try sectioning your hair in order to carefully apply the oil? I struggled at first too, so don't give up! I haven't been oiling much anymore (too lazy + uni schedule has me busy) but this is what I normally do: I grab a section of hair in one hand and use the other to massage the oil 'under' the hair (on to the scalp). I only use a little bit of oil mix - just enough to cover my fingerpads. I continue to work this way around my scalp. It's not heavy at all, and with proper shampooing/rinsing, it washes off well. HTH.
    Thanks for this, I have been using a dropper to apply it and have been finding it difficult to know when to stop, so I might try it your way. I have also been noticing that I have a lot more shedding on the days when I apply my castor oil mix. I'm thinking that probably is because I am still been putting too much on and it is weighing my hair down at the roots so it is breaking off at the roots. I will try applying it very lightly with my fingertips so I can actually feel how oily it is and how much I have put on.

Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

Should I use castor oil on my scalp only or my whole head? I just want to use it for the growth benefits really but if it makes my hair soft and shiny too and is not too hard to get out, I'll try it either way. I know for sure I have to dilute it with another oil, yes?

Follow my hair journey on tumblr
    http://jensnaturalhairjourney.tumblr.com/

I read about this in an Indian beauty book. apparently castor oil promotes hair growth because it is cooling to the skin. Heat inhibits hair growth and castor oil is a coolant.

I am looking forward to trying this on my eyelashes. I am also working on making a shampoo bar out of castor oil to stimulate hair growth.

Length
    Hip/clsc+/Term?
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jenwexler View Post
    Should I use castor oil on my scalp only or my whole head? I just want to use it for the growth benefits really but if it makes my hair soft and shiny too and is not too hard to get out, I'll try it either way. I know for sure I have to dilute it with another oil, yes?
    You don't have to dilute it, but for some people it makes it easier to apply/rinse out. I started out by mixing castor 50/50 with coconut oil, but I got tired of the hassle of mixing and now I just use the castor oil straight.
    I don't have any issues washing out pure castor, but because it's so sticky I push/squeeze it into my scalp and length (like squeezing water out) rather than rubbing or stroking the scalp/hair the way I would with a smooth oil like coconut.

Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

How long do I leave it in?

Follow my hair journey on tumblr
    http://jensnaturalhairjourney.tumblr.com/

Length
    Shldr/BSL+/?
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jenwexler View Post
    How long do I leave it in?
    I actually do a 50/50 mix of coconut and castor oil on my scalp because my scalp reaaaallly likes coconut oil. I put a 50/50 mix EVOO and coconut on the rest of my hair because castor oil can be pretty drying to the hair so I don't want that

I leave it in ~2 hours. But I think it's recomended to have it in at least 20 min.
    Shld --> APL --> BSL --> Waist -->

Length
    BSL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I tried this for the second time last night, and I think I'm in love!

I mixed the castor oil (the digestive kind from walmart) with amla oil from henna sooq- which is amla infused sesame oil. I applied it to my scalp with my finger tips. I massaged it in as best I could. I put my hair in a bun and slept on it, with a towel on my pillow. When I got up, massages a bunch of suave coconut conditioner into my dry hair. I put it up and did other stuff for an hour. Then, in the shower I splashed some water on it, and "lathered" the conditioner. The oil and conditioner rinsed out easily. I lightly washed with my cocoveda poo bar from henna sooq, rinsed, and done.

My hair is so full and luscious. It has so much volume, and feels really soft. My scalp feels tingly, in a good way, several hours after rinsing the oil out. It does take time and care to do this treatment, but even if it doesn't affect growth, it is worth it for how beautiful it makes my hair feel. I am so happy to have read this thread!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran