Page 256 of 267 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 2666

Thread: Castor oil for hair growth?

Default Re: Castor oil for hair growth?

I went to the hairdresser's recently. I was asking if there was any product that could make hair grow faster.

He told me that some time ago his girlfriend had shaved all her hair off for charity - and he had hated it. He was desperate for it to grow so he massaged her scalp with castor oil once a week. She would leave it on overnight and then wash out.

I asked how long he massaged it in, he shrugged and said it was really quick. (I was just wondering if it was the act of massaging rather than the oil, but that doesn't seem to have been something he took any time with.)

Anyway he said he couldn't believe how fast her hair grew. He said it was shoulder length in six months.

He didn't have a product to sell me and he didn't recommend a brand of castor oil (although I now wish I had asked him which brand) so he had nothing to gain by telling me this.

Additionally, a friend told me that her mother had a persistent path of thinning hair and black castor oil worked for her. Don't know which brand...

I'd say it's worth a try.
    Last edited by Suzysu; April 9th, 2016 at 01:38 PM.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I'm saying sorry in advance because this has probably come up in this thread earlier: How do you think using castor oil on the scalp would affect bleached hair? I've heard that castor oil darkens hair (?), so I'm interested in knowing whether it really "stains" the hair or appears to darken the hair over time. I'm planning on buying some castor oil to try for my brows and lashes but I don't want it on my scalp if it leaves me with dark patches

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Inga-Marjukka View Post
    I'm saying sorry in advance because this has probably come up in this thread earlier: How do you think using castor oil on the scalp would affect bleached hair? I've heard that castor oil darkens hair (?), so I'm interested in knowing whether it really "stains" the hair or appears to darken the hair over time. I'm planning on buying some castor oil to try for my brows and lashes but I don't want it on my scalp if it leaves me with dark patches
    The only darkening mentioned throughout the thread is from the hair appearing darker while it is still saturated in oil which is something blondes are likely to experience whenever their hair is dirty or oily regardless of using castor oil

Length
    APL/APL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Hi there!

I tried a castor oil treatment last night for the first time and washed it out this morning. Applied it scalp to ends, massaged into scalp for about 4 minutes. Used aloe gel to help distribute the oil better

I noticed that I shed a lot more hair than I normally would with a coconut treatment and wash, although I never do a scalp massage with coconut oil. This was my 1st scalp massage. Is it normal to shed more on oiling/ wash days?

I also noticed that the oil didn't leave my hair softer than coconut oil would, but my hair feels incredibly bouncy! It's as if I did a clarifying wash! I also have way less white dots than I normally would see when my hair is in direct sunlight. I know castor oil can't get rid of white dots, but it sure does cover them up or make them look less noticeable. Is this "clarifying" of dry feeling normal for castor oil users?

How do you apply castor oil? Do you use it more as just a scalp treatment? I don't want to dry out my ends if castor oil is a "clarifying" type of oil, but I've heard it is good for stimulating new growth, and I could really use that!

Thank you
    Last edited by Persiangirl01; May 6th, 2016 at 01:38 AM.

Length
    SL/Hip/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

It's a for sure no go for me. I'm pretty positive this dried out my hair and my scalp. Did weekly treatments for a month & half. I started noticing dryness about 3 weeks in but I blamed it on silicones I had used for over a year. Now I'm sure it was the Castro oil. I'm not even sure it helped with growth either.
    Started growing 10/2014 {SL* APL * BSL * MBL * WL * Hip * TB *Classic}

Length
    APL/APL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Lavendersugar. It's now been 3 days since the treatment and my hair is still feeling dry and it is sticking out of my braid and just looking rough. I'm due for a wash tomorrow. Definitely don't think I will use castor oil on my hair again!

Length
    SL/Hip/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Suzysu View Post
    I went to the hairdresser's recently. I was asking if there was any product that could make hair grow faster.

He told me that some time ago his girlfriend had shaved all her hair off for charity - and he had hated it. He was desperate for it to grow so he massaged her scalp with castor oil once a week. She would leave it on overnight and then wash out.

I asked how long he massaged it in, he shrugged and said it was really quick. (I was just wondering if it was the act of massaging rather than the oil, but that doesn't seem to have been something he took any time with.)

Anyway he said he couldn't believe how fast her hair grew. He said it was shoulder length in six months.

He didn't have a product to sell me and he didn't recommend a brand of castor oil (although I now wish I had asked him which brand) so he had nothing to gain by telling me this.

Additionally, a friend told me that her mother had a persistent path of thinning hair and black castor oil worked for her. Don't know which brand...

I'd say it's worth a try.
    It could have been the combo of both. Castro does have properties to help growth. Massaging daily most certainly will help growth but needs to be gentle.

You want hexane free and if you can find it organic.

If you read my post above you will see I mention dryness. Just be careful. It was so bad for me that my hair started splitting and I typically don't have that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Persiangirl01 View Post
    Lavendersugar. It's now been 3 days since the treatment and my hair is still feeling dry and it is sticking out of my braid and just looking rough. I'm due for a wash tomorrow. Definitely don't think I will use castor oil on my hair again!
    Try avocado oil of you want to use an oil and do gentle scalp massages.

As for the dryness look at the SMT moisture thread in this category. It should be near the top. I did it and posted my results and what I used. It's amazing!!! My post I think is on the second to last page as of right now. I even used a spray aloe with air drying and my hair feels so silky.
    Started growing 10/2014 {SL* APL * BSL * MBL * WL * Hip * TB *Classic}

Length
    15/18/30
    Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

When I used it, I put it on my scalp and throughout the length of my hair, but I use it as a sealant on top of my leave in. I wouldn't suggest massaging with it because it's so thick that I would think you could easily pull out hair. I just dip my fingertip into the oil, run it along each part, and then the rest of my hair. I will say that I think it can do something for growth because I finally reached tail bone. Also it really does help prevent split ends. I had to keep my hair coated in castor oil all winter because my stylist has gone AWOL and he's the only one I trust to give me a proper trim. So without him, I can't afford split ends.

Also I use the home health cold pressed castor oil.
    Lady Mayauel of the Sacred Offering in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynbaby View Post
    By the way, I have a scar on the top of my head from cracking my head open in the swimming pool. It's not huge but it won't grow any hair and I always have to be checking that it doesn't show. Do you think castor oil can make hair grow on scar tissue?

Thanks in advance
    xx
    I don't know if it works, but there have been people who talk about how castor oil healed their scars and started regrowth of hair in the area. I came across some website where a woman was talking about a burn scar on her leg that healed, including the return of leg hair, using castor oil rubbed into the scar for months and months. I don't remember exactly how long, but it did take quite a while. I also have no idea if it was the castor oil, or the massage, or just any oil that would do it. I also suspect it depends on the person, and just because one person had an amazing scar healing experience doesn't mean it will happen for someone else.

I have an itchy spot on my scalp that I scratch at and pull hairs out from that I suspect might be scarred. I apply castor oil to that spot in the hopes that it will eventually heal the area and help hair grow back thicker there, but I know that it also might not help. I also have a scar on my head somewhere from cracking my head open when I was little. It also doesn't grow hair, and hairdressers would always comment on it and embarrass me about it. I can't actually see the spot myself, so I have no idea if castor oiling is helping it grow in or not. I think I've seen some say that coconut oil can help hair regrowth from bare patches as well.

As long as your skin and hair are otherwise happy with castor oil and you're not breaking out or having huge sheds, I see no reason not to experiment with it and see if it will make hair grow over the scar. The worst that happens, nothing changes and you are in the same situation as you are now. Moisturizing scar tissue is a good idea anyway, though. Best case scenario, in a year or two you might see some hair growth. Try it and see?

Quote Originally Posted by enting View Post
    I don't know if it works, but there have been people who talk about how castor oil healed their scars and started regrowth of hair in the area. I came across some website where a woman was talking about a burn scar on her leg that healed, including the return of leg hair, using castor oil rubbed into the scar for months and months. I don't remember exactly how long, but it did take quite a while. I also have no idea if it was the castor oil, or the massage, or just any oil that would do it. I also suspect it depends on the person, and just because one person had an amazing scar healing experience doesn't mean it will happen for someone else.

I have an itchy spot on my scalp that I scratch at and pull hairs out from that I suspect might be scarred. I apply castor oil to that spot in the hopes that it will eventually heal the area and help hair grow back thicker there, but I know that it also might not help. I also have a scar on my head somewhere from cracking my head open when I was little. It also doesn't grow hair, and hairdressers would always comment on it and embarrass me about it. I can't actually see the spot myself, so I have no idea if castor oiling is helping it grow in or not. I think I've seen some say that coconut oil can help hair regrowth from bare patches as well.

As long as your skin and hair are otherwise happy with castor oil and you're not breaking out or having huge sheds, I see no reason not to experiment with it and see if it will make hair grow over the scar. The worst that happens, nothing changes and you are in the same situation as you are now. Moisturizing scar tissue is a good idea anyway, though. Best case scenario, in a year or two you might see some hair growth. Try it and see?
    Yes, applying castor oil on the scar seems to be a good idea. I've read several times that it can dissolve scar tissue, some say the process is a little slow and other found quicker results, but the scar healing property is definitely being put out there.