Page 41 of 267 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Castor oil for hair growth?

Void Where Prohibited ole gray mare's Avatar
    Length
    apl/hip/tb
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Castor oil for hair growth?

I've only done the castor oil twice and I cannot vouch for results, but my hair is quite happy as the result of my new routine, which goes like this:

- Castor oil/avocado oil mixture (1:1), plus a couple of drops of rosemary eo (which makes it smell wonderful) all massaged into my scalp, which feels wonderful.
    - Avocado oil on the length.
    - Braid and leave in for at least an hour and preferably overnight.
    - Wash out with shampoo (I have a new lovely Bumble and bumble shampoo. Never in my life did I think I'd spend so much money on shampoo, but this seems to be extraordinary shampoo)
    - Condition with Curls Rock conditioner
    - Final rinse with dilute white vinegar rinse
    lightly oil damp length with avocado oil
    - Damp bun
    - When mostly dry, take bun down
    - Apply Nightblooming panacea salve
    - brush

It's not really a ton of steps (as it sounds), because it's all done over the course of two days.

This was the result of this treatment yesterday. I was pleased. My hair doesn't generally get this shiny. My hair and scalp are pretty pleased with this routine. I hope the castor oil will help growth, but in any case, I like the result!

Last edited by ole gray mare; February 25th, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
    ~Princess Goblin~
    This illustration perfectly captures how I spend dream time with my Lily

Length
    MBL/MBL/MBL
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/i

Hi LHC users, I found this website about hair loss read quite a bit and it makes sense with LHC tips but has more nice info about hair loss, being fungus the causes of hair loss mainly and how ACV, castor oil helps with fungus, quite hepful I have t say but maybe you wise women already know about this....

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/hair_loss.html

Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ole gray mare View Post
    I've only done the castor oil twice and I cannot vouch for results, but my hair is quite happy as the result of my new routine, which goes like this:

- Castor oil/avocado oil mixture (1:1), plus a couple of drops of rosemary eo (which makes it smell wonderful) all massaged into my scalp, which feels wonderful.
    - Avocado oil on the length.
    - Braid and leave in for at least an hour and preferably overnight.
    - Wash out with shampoo (I have a new lovely Bumble and bumble shampoo. Never in my life did I think I'd spend so much money on shampoo, but this seems to be extraordinary shampoo)
    - Condition with Curls Rock conditioner
    - Final rinse with dilute white vinegar rinse
    lightly oil damp length with avocado oil
    - Damp bun
    - When mostly dry, take bun down
    - Apply Nightblooming panacea salve
    - brush

It's not really a ton of steps (as it sounds), because it's all done over the course of two days.

This was the result of this treatment yesterday. I was pleased. My hair doesn't generally get this shiny. My hair and scalp are pretty pleased with this routine. I hope the castor oil will help growth, but in any case, I like the result!

For me a regimine like that would be spending hours in the bathroom. I just use WEN co-wash, v05 detangling spray, w/ caster/coconut oil treatments, and once a week deep conditioning treatments. Your hair does look wonderful though. Mine isnt as thick nor as long but im tryign to get it there. Hope the oil works ineed growth!

Void Where Prohibited ole gray mare's Avatar
    Length
    apl/hip/tb
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by WickedLady View Post
    For me a regimine like that would be spending hours in the bathroom. I just use WEN co-wash, v05 detangling spray, w/ caster/coconut oil treatments, and once a week deep conditioning treatments. Your hair does look wonderful though. Mine isnt as thick nor as long but im tryign to get it there. Hope the oil works ineed growth!
    Ha! I know it sounds like a lot of steps, but probably no more than what you already do. I only wash my hair once or twice per week, so it's not a daily thing.

I just massage in the castor/avocado mix into my scalp.

Then apply avocado oil to the length. (This part goes more quickly than coconut oil used to when I used that.)

Braid for an hour (or overnight)

Shampoo and condition, rinse with vinegar/water

apply a little avocado oil to the length while wet and then bun and go to work.

After work, let the bun down, put in a little hair salve and brush.

Really, I am all about the lazy, and this is pretty easy. I couldn't do it if it werent. (Again, all about the lazy!)
    ~Princess Goblin~
    This illustration perfectly captures how I spend dream time with my Lily

Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

So you dont rinse with regular water?

For mine i only shower/wash my hair 3 times per week only becuase my hair gets oily and i get stinky from whereing the same military uniform every single day. On the other days i put my hair up when i get in the shower so it doesnt get wet.

But when i do wash my hair:

Wen cleasing conditioner (during shower - leave it pined up and in my hair for the duration until im ready to rinse it out)
    put a little WEN conditioner (dime size) on my lengths
    Air dry

On the days i have to work the regimine is a little different. It is mostly the same but few changes

Wash with WEN
    WEN on lengths
    Hair up on Bun and Spray with V05 Detangling spray before and after so that its good and covered cuase otherwise at least for curly hair can cause breakage.

When i sleep at night i wear a satin sleep cap.
    I love that thing. I think i have been sleeping more soundly, comfortably than when i wasnt wearing it. To me its a godsent

Any other suggestions would be help ful. I have spent alot of money over the last 8 years trying to find a cure for me to have less shedding. I wanted to get the caster/coconut oil today but for some reason cant find the right one. any help on that or a link i can go directly too would be appreciated. I think i know where to get the avocado oil though. That and i notice most of the women who comment whether in this thread or another about hair have straight hair. I would like to hear more form women who have curly hair as well.

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    Have you noticed a difference using that blend? Also, do you mix the mustard oil with castor oil? I found mustard by itself just too stinky and then when i started tasting it in my mouth it was just vile.
    I didn't use it without the EOs because I had them for another "project", so based on the castor/grapeseed/EO oiling -v- no scalp oiling at all, I went from 0.5 to 1" per month two months running. I really wanted to help my baby hair new growth, but I'll take all over improvement

I apply the castor oil mix either over night or in the morning and at least three hours later I apply a second oiling of mustard oil and leave for at least an hour. I'm not so bothered about that oil, I just bought it on a whim. I haven't tasted it in my mouth; I expect because it's battling with the EOs and there's already a coating of castor oil.

I absolutely think the castor oil blend works for me. The EOs are those recommended in the Aberdeen study I linked to a couple of pages ago. I use the same dilution just a different carrier oil mix.

ETA: I really think this is the first thing to markedly speed up my growth and stop my fluffy hairline. And I've tried a fair few things
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

ok now i see everyone using different mixes lol so im confused. anyone help unconfuse me? LOL

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by WickedLady View Post
    ok now i see everyone using different mixes lol so im confused. anyone help unconfuse me? LOL
    Castor oil, if you haven't ever seen it (I hadn't) is very thick and sticky. It is easier to use, in my opinion, if it is mixed with a thinner oil. Most people mix it 50/50 and these are the types I see used most:
    Coconut
    Grapeseed
    Jojoba
    Avocado

I think the two deciding factors are what you have and what your hair likes. There's no set rules.

I had a 1 litre bottle of grapeseed I already bought for hair so that's why I use it! I would have used jojoba, but I've passed that on to DH instead. I don't use coconut because it would solidify in the jar I keep my blend in, and I don't have avocado.

Essential oils are optional. So is blending with a thinner oil, but I would be in a state if I didn't!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    pixie/TBL!/clsc!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by enfys View Post
    I didn't use it without the EOs because I had them for another "project", so based on the castor/grapeseed/EO oiling -v- no scalp oiling at all, I went from 0.5 to 1" per month two months running. I really wanted to help my baby hair new growth, but I'll take all over improvement
    I may have missed it, but how often do you do this? Once a week, twice, etc? Your results are awesome and as I already have castor/coconut oil in my bathroom I'd like to give it a try... : D
    Chin // Shoulder // Apl // Bsl // Waist // Hip // TBL!! 34" (now)! // Classic (end goal)
    ~Lady Lovecraft of the Red Crayon Aristocracy in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ladylovecraft View Post
    I may have missed it, but how often do you do this? Once a week, twice, etc? Your results are awesome and as I already have castor/coconut oil in my bathroom I'd like to give it a try... : D
    I do it twice a week, Sunday and Wednesday. Ideally applied Saturday and Tuesday nights.

I haven't measured great grwth this month, just the usual so maybe my scalp is over it, but it still feels good and can't do any harm!
    📸 Hairstagram