Page 51 of 267 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Castor oil for hair growth?

Default Re: Castor oil for hair growth?

So, I just measured my hair. I dutifully applied oils including castor to my scalp for the last three weeks, and I am 1/2" longer than when I started. My hair usually grows less than 1/2" per month, so 1/2" in three weeks is definitely faster! I was really hoping it would help my hairline, but no change there so far.

I DO think my hair looks darker. I clarified yesterday morning (baking soda is my friend), and my hair looks a little better, but still darker than normal in my opinion. I am an old ever-darkening blonde, so the darker hair bothers me. If it would come in the gorgeous golden deep mahogany color that my sister has, I'd be all for it! Instead it just looks dirty. I am not ready to abandon the castor oil yet, however, since my scalp itches so much less.

Length
    26.4"/27"/31.5"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by smileycat View Post
    I DO think my hair looks darker. I clarified yesterday morning (baking soda is my friend), and my hair looks a little better, but still darker than normal in my opinion. I am an old ever-darkening blonde, so the darker hair bothers me.
    There's a lightening method with honey. I didn't try it yet, only read about it here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...read.php?t=148
    Last edited by Dina L.; March 19th, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Mum, when I grow up I'll be a photographer!

Length
    0.5/31/40
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by WickedLady View Post
    i been wondering what he difference between JBCO and regular caster oil from the pharmacy? Pros? Cons? Benifits?
    Pro: JBCO smells better in my opinion.
    Pro: It has a lighter feeling so it spreads easier on my scalp. I hated the way the regular kind felt like it got "stuck" in whatever part of my hair that I put it in first. It seems other people mix it with other oils to lighten it but I haven't tried that yet.
    Pro: When I put it on my eyelids (for eyelash growth) it doesn't burn. I did that once with regular castor and it burned so much I had to wash it off.
    Pro: It makes my hair feel very soft at the roots where I put it so now I'm experimenting with putting it on my ends. I'll update in a few weeks because it make take longer for the ends to be affected.

Con: Hard to find. Unless you live near a store that has an extensive selection of products for Black/kinky hair, you will have to buy it online.

But if you've already bought the regular kind, stick with it unless you really don't like it. It's so easy to accumulate too many bottles of hair stuff LoL

Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MoonLover View Post
    Pro: JBCO smells better in my opinion.
    Pro: It has a lighter feeling so it spreads easier on my scalp. I hated the way the regular kind felt like it got "stuck" in whatever part of my hair that I put it in first. It seems other people mix it with other oils to lighten it but I haven't tried that yet.
    Pro: When I put it on my eyelids (for eyelash growth) it doesn't burn. I did that once with regular castor and it burned so much I had to wash it off.
    Pro: It makes my hair feel very soft at the roots where I put it so now I'm experimenting with putting it on my ends. I'll update in a few weeks because it make take longer for the ends to be affected.

Con: Hard to find. Unless you live near a store that has an extensive selection of products for Black/kinky hair, you will have to buy it online.

But if you've already bought the regular kind, stick with it unless you really don't like it. It's so easy to accumulate too many bottles of hair stuff LoL
    where can i buy some JBCO? i mean i dont have black kinky hair though got a link or something where it can be purchased?

Length
    0.5/31/40
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii

Go to the health & skin section of Sam's Caribbean Marketplace There are a few different options for JBCO, including one with coconut oil, another with lavender oils and one with red pimento oil.

Good luck!

Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MoonLover View Post
    Go to the health & skin section of Sam's Caribbean Marketplace There are a few different options for JBCO, including one with coconut oil, another with lavender oils and one with red pimento oil.

Good luck!

oh ok so it looks like its already premixed with oils is that a good thing? is it still pure caster oil?

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I want to join in with all of you castor oil users , right now I put some castor/ apricot oil mix.
    This is my first time and I put way to much castor oil in the mix as it was difficult
    to spread and was very gunky, next time I will use less.
    Hopefully I can take it out with one shampoo wish me luck. I'll report back how my hair is
    doing after a few oilings.

Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

Soon as i get my stitches taken out im going to try the caster oil/grapeseed oil mix. I'll let you all know how it goes soon.

Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dina L. View Post
    I guess JBCO is unrefined. My castor oil from the pharmacy has no color and no smell at all.
    Did you find a proper Aloe vera gel? Shall I still check the names that are sold here? I promised that a few of days ago...
    Well i found an Aloe Vera Styling gel http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/jas...056272-product not sure if this was one of the things we were talking about or not. I also ordered some aloe vera juice to mix with my drinks once a day as well as add it to my shampoo and conditioner that does not contain it im really hoping this can be a contributing factor to helping the health and growth of my hair along with my all natural shampoo and conditioner, castor oil treatments, etc. The only bad thing is im really going to miss WEN being around too expensive atm though. So far it was the only thing that could tame my frizz and poofyness. I'm hoping in my efforts my hair will start to thicken up but i do have some good news my hair grew 1/2 lately. Soon as i stopped vitamin A i started seeing progress. A is not a bad one i just think my body took an overdose since i was taking two multivitamins a day lol now im only taking one with minimal amount of Vitamin A. I can get the rest in foods and such.

Length
    ???/Hip?/TB
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Ok, so I'm going to try castor oil for the first time on friday night. I have bought a little plastic bottle with a pointed tip which I'm going to use to apply the oil to my scalp only before massaging it in, does that sound alright? Will I need to make the hole at the tip very large (people have been commenting on how castor oil is quite gunky)?
    If other people use the same method for applying it, do you wash the bottle after each use or do you just keep the left over oil inside for the next time? I'm wondering whether it's very hygienic, seeing how I won't be able to actually close the tip once I pierce it...