Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can hair thickness increase?

Length
    BSL/33.5/Clsc
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Question Can hair thickness increase?

I measured my pony tail thickness back in September and it was 2.5". I measured again today and it was 4" ! I made sure I measured the same way I did last time, and the measurment is correct. I have definatly changed the way I take care of my hair since I found this site in September. I c/o most of the time, and other times I use LUSH shampoo bars. I also oil and SMT. Any thoughts?
    Back to LHC after cutting my 36" hair, went to 27" with layers and bangs temporary insanity! Now I'm back to 33.5" and classic is my goal! .

Banned
    Length
    Buzz/buzz/waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Can hair thickness increase?

From everything i've read on here, it can definately increase, but it can also DECREASE just as fast.

Length
    26/32/??
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Wow, this is a really big change. I heard before from others that the circumference of their ponytail improved, but most of the time (if there was a bigger change) that included growing out bangs or layers.
    Did you additionally change anything else? Nutrition, lifestyle/situation, scalp massages or did you have lots of breakage before ?
    I can't really imagine that this is possible as it would mean (if you started from hair in quite a good condition), that you suddenly have lots of new hair that wasn't there before.
    But I'm happy for you that it is (would be a nice surprise for me too, but I guess I won't be that lucky).

Length
    BSL/33.5/Clsc
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    Wow, this is a really big change. I heard before from others that the circumference of their ponytail improved, but most of the time (if there was a bigger change) that included growing out bangs or layers.
    Did you additionally change anything else? Nutrition, lifestyle/situation, scalp massages or did you have lots of breakage before ?
    I can't really imagine that this is possible as it would mean (if you started from hair in quite a good condition), that you suddenly have lots of new hair that wasn't there before.
    But I'm happy for you that it is (would be a nice surprise for me too, but I guess I won't be that lucky).
    My hair was in good condition before, I never used heat on it, ect.. I did use chemical filled hair products tho. I just wasn't very careful with it before.
    Back to LHC after cutting my 36" hair, went to 27" with layers and bangs temporary insanity! Now I'm back to 33.5" and classic is my goal! .

Length
    BSL/33.5/Clsc
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kam984420 View Post
    From everything i've read on here, it can definately increase, but it can also DECREASE just as fast.
    What do you mean? A bunch can just fall out???

Length
    buzz/38/dunno
    Type
    3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ALenee View Post
    What do you mean? A bunch can just fall out???
    Half of my hair fell out after I had surgery a few years ago. And about two years after I had given up on it, I have noticed some of it is growing back!

Your apparent thickness can be much more or less depending on all sorts of things. I can change my measured thickness a lot just by brushing my hair, which gives me lots of frizz instead of curls. What I use to wash my hair, how much humidity is in the air, and all sorts of things affect how thick it measures.

Length
    BSL/33.5/Clsc
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
    Half of my hair fell out after I had surgery a few years ago. And about two years after I had given up on it, I have noticed some of it is growing back!

Your apparent thickness can be much more or less depending on all sorts of things. I can change my measured thickness a lot just by brushing my hair, which gives me lots of frizz instead of curls. What I use to wash my hair, how much humidity is in the air, and all sorts of things affect how thick it measures.

I have had 5 surgeries and never noticed a difference. I didn't know hair could fall out from surgery. Was it the anasthesia?

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Hair can fall out due to stress of the surgery. I've read that before. Depends on the surgery as well.

From my understanding, you can't add any more hair on your head than you already have. You have a pre-set amount of hair folicles. What can happen in regards to gaining thickness is:
    reduction of hair breakage, growing out layers/bangs (I'm growing out most of my bangs and have added .5 inches to my circumfrence). I don't know if you can grow more hair, though in each hair folice, you can grow more than 1 hair in it.

Congrats!!! That's exciting
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Thickness can fluctuate for lots of reasons other than the obvious layers cut in or grown out.
    Hair is often a reflection of general health, diet, excercise, illness, stress, scalp health, handling etc all can effect it.
    Surgery can cause the body to suffer extreeme stress and often after an extreeme stress on the body a condition caused telogen effluvium can be caused. This is the body reacting to stress by making a large number of hairs prematurely exit the active anagen phase of the growth cycle. They then shed anytime up to 3 months later and can take up to a year to grow back.
    Illnesses like diabetes, lupus, thyroid problems can all cause excessive shedding as well.

Given your hair has thickened dramatically it would seem something has changed. Some people find that chemicals like sulphates, or waxy/coney conditioner on the scalp increase shedding, if you have cut these things out or changed the types of chemicals used then it would indicate not that your genetic potential for thickness has increased, but that before something was preventing you from reaching your genetic potential.
    I notice you use SMT's and oils, if you oil the scalp then something added to the oil, or the type of oil itself may be having a beneficial effect in reducing shedding or stimulating growth....aloe vera is also considered good for hairloss and for stimulating growth so it could even be that.
    Anyway, whatever it is, congratulaions and just keep on doing what you are and enjoy the results
    Last edited by ChloeDharma; January 25th, 2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: typo
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    31/Class/term

I've noticed thickness at different length points changing. Mainly, as my hair gets longer, my taper changes. I find I have thicker hair farther down than I did a year ago, but my hair's eight or nine inches longer too. I don't think this is due to me growing new hairs or anything. Maybe more to do with protection from damage.

Though the hair follicles go in cycles, right? And some might be more active all at once at certain times, whereas the opposite could be true at other times, right?