Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can hair thickness increase?

Default Re: Can hair thickness increase?

Quote Originally Posted by kdm310911 View Post
    I think so, because they kind of coat each strand and could weigh it down, making it feel thinner overall. I notice my hair feels thinner if I use things like Pantene, for example.

Hmmm this is interesting, especially since Pantene is one of my most used brands. But I don't think I could handle the tangles if I didn't use cones.

Kimberly, thank you! I'm also glad to hear your hair has decided to come back, and that you're healthy and here with us!
    No matter how much I try to be plain, people don't accept me, so I might as well be fabulous.
    -Austin Scarlett.

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by plainjanegirl View Post
    I have some of the green aloe vera gel (from walmart) that you use on sunburns. Maybe I will try it on my scalp. Oils on my scalp are not a good thing cause they make my hair greasy. I have a bare spot that is at the nape of my neck and so I just put the oil or monistat or whatever there. So far nothing is helping.
    Eek, no!

The green stuff has lidocaine, which dries your hair, and the green can tint your hair!

The clear stuff! It's with the lotions!
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Yep, cones can make your hair feel thinner because it lays the cuticle down and probably removes natural body. I get this with too much Pantene conditioner, but I LOVE that stuff. I just used an Herbal Essence conditioner and love it, but noticed a change in the thickness of my ponytail.

I'm a bit worried--I'm slated to have a breast reduction at the end of this year. I don't want to lose my hair. Since it is elective surgery, in that it's for comfort/reasons, but not a surgery I have to have, I would assume I'd be ok hair wise??
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse1 View Post
    Yep, cones can make your hair feel thinner because it lays the cuticle down and probably removes natural body. I get this with too much Pantene conditioner, but I LOVE that stuff. I just used an Herbal Essence conditioner and love it, but noticed a change in the thickness of my ponytail.

I'm a bit worried--I'm slated to have a breast reduction at the end of this year. I don't want to lose my hair. Since it is elective surgery, in that it's for comfort/reasons, but not a surgery I have to have, I would assume I'd be ok hair wise??
    I didn't lose much in the way of hair after my gall bladder surgery earlier this year. Just make sure your rested and eating well before and after.
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Length
    BSL/33.5/Clsc
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

To the person who asked what my hair method is...

I just started using the shampoo bars from LUSH. I use Godiva and Karma Komre (sp?) I love them both! Before I was C/O using several different "flavors" of Suave Naturals. Now I do every other wash with a shampoo bar. I use a wide toothed smooth comb to comb my wet hair CAREFULLY, then let it dry naturally, indoors and comb again. Then I braid or bun it. I also do an SMT once a week
    Back to LHC after cutting my 36" hair, went to 27" with layers and bangs temporary insanity! Now I'm back to 33.5" and classic is my goal! .

Since it is elective surgery, in that it's for comfort/reasons, but not a surgery I have to have, I would assume I'd be ok hair wise??
    Sorry, but it doesn't matter. When you get closer to surgery time your surgeon will likely provide you with information about possible side effects of surgery, including hair loss. If he doesn't tell you about it, do your own research so you're mentally prepared if this happens to you. I know a lot of women who have had hair loss from elective surgery.

Many people (most?) don't have any hair loss from surgery, so you will probably be fine. The great thing is that because yours is elective and planned, you can prepare by eating lots of protein now and taking your vitamins. Either way, hair loss from a traumatic event like surgery is usually temporary.

(Can you tell I've done a lot of reading about this? I was *obsessed* when my hair was falling out.)
    Last edited by Beloved; January 26th, 2009 at 07:06 PM.
    No matter how much I try to be plain, people don't accept me, so I might as well be fabulous.
    -Austin Scarlett.

So did the Herbal Essence make your ponytail feel thicker than the Pantene? Maybe my hair is not alot thinner than what it was when I was younger maybe part of it is cause I use mostly cone products now and then I used cheap suave or vo5.? or maybe not.

So can c-sections cause hair loss?

Yes. So can hormonal changes just from having a baby. Also, some women get hypothyroid after giving birth and that can make your hair fall out.
    -Austin Scarlett.