Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the forums, advice for the greasies?

Length
    Pixie/Bob/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: New to the forums, advice for the greasies?

Hmm, yes, I've heard the talcum powder trick. Maybe I should incorporate that into my arsenal...
    I'll also hunt around on the boards to find a shampoo without sulfates. Thanks!

Length
    Pixie/Bob/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

It does, thanks! It's also good to know that spacing out washes isn't good for everyone, since a LOT of people here seem to swear by it. Lord, if I only washed my hair once or twice a week... I can't even imagine. Someone could use me for an oil lamp!

Length
    Pixie/Bob/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I figured I'd end up putting all my hair up on no-wash days I'd like to wait a bit, let my hair adjust to CO with the occasional CWC (if I can get away with it) and then start spacing my scalp washes at least to every other day.

Oh, as long as I'm here, does any know if there's any way to have an e-mail sent when someone responds to a thread I've created?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I am super greasy! I usually just wash every day, so I look nice for work!

On the weekends I can go without but even then sometimes I use a dry shampoo to look better. This one works well on dark hair since the white colored ones always show up on my hair. It works great and it smells really nice too!!

Blend in food processor:
    6 oz. corn meal
    20 drops castor oil
    30 drops lemon essential oil

Massage into hair, and brush out (I do this outside).

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

If you want to try stretching out your washes, probably the first thing to do is find a relatively mild shampoo, and use it everyday, or try to switch to daily CO, which is milder still for the scalp and still should remove oil if you use enough and rinse really well. Hopefully after a few weeks, your scalp will calm down its oil production (though it doesn't happen for everyone). At that point, you can try alternating morning and evening washes to go every 36 hours without a wash, then stretch to 2 days and beyond, as your oil production permits.

If none of this works, you probably just have a naturally high oil production, rather than being oily because you react to the stripping effects of your shampoo. At that point, I think the best recommendation is scalp washes and/or CWC as often as needed. But see if you can wean yourself off the harsh daily shampoo first.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Chanteuse87 View Post
    Oh, as long as I'm here, does any know if there's any way to have an e-mail sent when someone responds to a thread I've created?
    Click "Thread Tools" in the upper menu.
    Choose "Subscribe to This Thread."
    Set Notification Type to "Instant notification by email."

You will get email as soon someone responds to your thread.

As for taking care of greasy scalp, nothing really worked for me. I have to wash at least once every two days. Otherwise, horror! But that's better than before. I used to wash every day. I apply conditioner below my ears. It helps.

Sometimes, I make a ponytail and wash only the top and temple areas of my scalp.
    Last edited by Akiko; January 29th, 2009 at 09:21 AM.

Length
    Pixie/Bob/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Thanks, that all sounds great I just diluted my bottle of shampoo this morning, and I'll try alternating CO and CWC for the next few weeks, see what happens!

Posterchild for Monistat
    Length
    1"/26"/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

welcome, i haven't really been in you situation, but the lladies on here offer some great advice as most have been through the same things as you hair wise
    Makeup Tutorials for the brave and colorful
    View the Monistat Tutorial
    here
    My Hair Blog:
    http://suicideseve.blogspot.com

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

hi Chanteuse,

as another fine haired, wavy haired, formerly greasy person I can agree with some of what Aisling and OhioLisa said, especially ditching 'cones and little to no BBBing.

However, sulfates DO work best for me - I wash with sulfate shampoo (Herbal Essences, it's cheap and smells OK) maybe every 2 washes, and I wash (this is WITH oily pregnancy hair/skin) every 7 days or so!

One of the biggest things to get used to is that my "post LHC" hair is different from my "pre-LHC" hair. You will see people talking about adjustment periods and such, and, for me, this meant having to get used to hair that was darker, flatter, and softer in texture. It didn't feel like my old, damaged, hair!

Personally I think it is a balance between "stretching" washing (only washing when you need it) and washing often enough to keep your hair looking good. Fine hair seems to constantly change depending on seasons, hormones, etc. so you may have to play around with this. I had decided to wash my hair more often (every 3-4 days) but since I have been swimming, it seems happy with every 7 days. Weird!

Anyway good luck and welcom here!

Katze
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Welcome to you, Chanteuse87!

'm sorry, I don't have any stellar advice for you other than things mentioned by others with more similar hair. Mine is fine to medium, but I don't have the oily scalp issues.

So all you get from me is a warm welcome!
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.