Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm becoming very discouraged.

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default I'm becoming very discouraged.

I can't seem to grow out my hair. It grows about .5 inches a month, but I keep thinking, "Oooh, it seems damaged, I'd better trim a little bit off," and before I know it, I've wiped out my whole progress for the month. This has been going on since September, and because of my compulsive need to trim it all the time, I've made practically no progress since then! I also feel bad because this is all my fault, and I feel really stupid for being so rash with my hair all the time. It was easier when I was younger, because I didn't know how to cut my own hair, but now that I do, it's like I've unleashed this evil monster.

How do you prevent yourself from going crazy with the scissors?

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default Re: I'm becoming very discouraged.

PS: Did I mention that my self-trimming has also given me the ugliest haircut of all time?

Length
    Chin/48.5/54
    Type
    2c/M/iii

My advice would be to wear your hair up as much as possible and whenever you get the urge to trim it, just go on the LHC and read the forum! Distract yourself! It works, believe me, thats what I have been doing and it seems to be working great!

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i

I second the advice to wear it up. Assuming that you are female, you could put it in a french twist if it's too short for a bun. Even a ponytail may work, and it would probably look okay.

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Err, haha. I can't quite get it into a ponytail yet. I can get it into a real fancy half-pony, though. It brings aaaall the boys to the yard. Okay, I'm done now.

Yeah, suggestions for styles are unbelievably welcome. I will also accept being berated for my silliness as well.

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

I agree with them and if you don't want to bun them you can do braids which gives less damage to hair.

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Haha, I replied before you got to read it, but weirdly enough, I just remembered that it looks really nice when I just braid the front and pin it to the side. ... Er, did that make sense?

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Make it a personal project. No trims until - Christmas? Open a blog here, and whenever you succeeded NOT to trim, record it here and let yourself be praised And take pictures of your growth. It may encourage you to put up with an irregular hemline for a while until you have grown enough "reserve" to trim a bit.

And try to boost your hairgrowth by Jessie's miracle oil recipe (essential oils and scalp massage, there's a thread somewhere...) and some good supplements (I recommend omega 3, zinc, MSM and Biotin). Once you feel that you invested so much into every mm, maybe you won't feel like cutting so much?
    1b F ii/iii
    92cm/36.2"

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Maybe you could work out a schedule for your trims and try sticking to that. If you grow 1/2" a month you could trim 1/2" every three months and still see some growth. And every three months should be often enough to take care of any damage, unless you are really abusing your hair.

Personally, I trim twice a year. If it's not January or July, scissors are not going anywhere near my head, end of story. There's a support thread on here for people who have resolved not to trim at all in 2009, but if you have hair that splits easily that approach might not be for you.

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Milesande: That's an excellent suggestion. You have no idea how much that would help me. I'm totally the kind of person that gets way too into personal projects, ha-ha.

Roseate: No, I keep pretty good care of it. But there's this weird patch of really coarse hair in the back that always feels kind of off, and for some reason, I always want to trim it. Probably 'cause it was the first place to break off when I did abuse my hair. And thanks, I'll look into that thread.