Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the forums, advice for the greasies?

Length
    Pixie/Bob/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default New to the forums, advice for the greasies?

Hello all,
    I'm so happy to have found this site! While I really enjoy short hair, I had long hair up until I was 18 -- and now as a poor college student I'm growing it out again because I can't afford frequent cuts But I'd like to do it right. My biggest problem is my greasy scalp. One day after washing and it's an oil slick that needs to be washed again. I know it's probably a reaction to overwashing, but I've never been able to deal with limp, dirty hair for more than two or three days, max. I would, however, like to attempt to fix this. I've started alternating CO and CWC, and will do my first ever clarifying shampoo this weekend (when I can stay in my room if it's an absolute wreck!). I'm hoping that if my hair shows damage, it'll just be moisture related, which seems easy enough to deal with. Long term goal would be to hopefully get to a point where I can CO once every other day, or every few days (with a shampoo every now and again), so I'm not washing my hair too much. Does this sound like a good plan? Any advice?

Also, sometimes when I don't shampoo my hair over the weekend, I'll use a BBB to attempt to spread the sebum through my whole length -- but it never seems to do much good. It might spread a bit, maybe two or three inches from the scalp, but the end result is still oily on top, a bit dry at the ends. Am I not doing it right?

Thanks in advance for the help, and I'll continue to read through the boards looking for good tips!

Length
    Pixie/Chin/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: New to the forums, advice for the greasies?

Hi Chanteuse,

It seems many people have success with stretching out their washes but personally it has never worked for me. We both have fine hair and I think that fine, oily hair just shows up the greasies. I can't BBB either.

To look after my hair I use moisturising shampoo and conditioner- Biolage hydrating is my current favourite although it's a bit expensive. Otherwise, a daily conditioner only seems to be doing the trick at the moment as well- but I can't leave it any longer than this! For your ends and length, regular deep conditioning treatments are the way to go I think, plus a good leave in always helps.

There are a few threads about washing frequency and you'll find there are more daily washers out there than you think!

Good luck with your growing

Welcome to the forums, Chanteuse. I am sure you will find a way to take care of your longer hair with the help of all the great and knowledgable people here at this site.
    Do you have any plan on growing your hair, any length you would like to achieve? Or is it that you keep it long mainly since you can't afford to go to the hairdresser.

There are many here on the forums who prefer not to go to the hairdresser, surely due to several reasons: one is bad experience with hairdresser who don't respect their wish to grown long hair and don't know how to take care of it. Here's a question to everbody on the forums... If you don't visit hairdressers, why not? Who do you trust with taking care of your hair?

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I think the best things you can do for fine, oily hair are to ditch cones, use really gentle shampoos, and keep your hands out of your hair as much as possible. It was only after I stopped using sulfate shampoos and conditioners with cones that I was able to stretch my washes to every other day. I could stretch longer, but I really don't see a point, since my hair is quite content with every other day.

Type
    1b/F/ii

I also have a greasy scalp and fine hair and haven't been successful with pacing our my washes, I still wash at least my scalp every second day in general. With longer hair I'm at least able to do scalp only washings.

I've actually had good results with diluted shampoo, it washes as well as full strength shampoo and my scalp seems to get a little less greasy in 2 days when I use diluted shampoo and also a shampoo with less harsh sulfates. It's worth trying, I think.

I've never had good results from trying to spread sebum with a BBB. My sebum doesn't like to move much, my fine hair just turns flatter and flatter and I feel that the brushing easily damages my hair as well. I really prefer to wash my hair and forget about brushing Some slight greasiness, for example some strands above my face, I've "hiddedn" with talcum powder, dusted the greasy part with that and combed/brushed it out, it works like a dry shampoo.

andber, I just have to ask, what is your advice to the OP? I don't see any advice how to deal with a greasy scalp and I thought that was what this thread is about.

aisling,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!
    I also have greasy scalp but I have short hair so I am afraid my own experience wouldn't help so much. I wash my hair about twice a week and that fixes most of the problem for me.

Writing links to webpages here on LHC??? A question for admins or anybody else who might know: If I search for info on the web about something (like greasy scalp) and find things that I think can help and is relevant, can I post any links to those resources or should I copy the relevant text and include in my post? It's hard to give source of info if I can't mention the link which I guess would be a nice way when "borrowing" text. Often I don't have the answer myself but I gladly help out with finding info on the web (of course including LHC forums) if I can.

Length
    8/21/35
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Hi Chanteuse,

I'm pretty new here too. All my life I've had an oily scalp. I also overwashed until a hairdresser told me to stop washing my hair everyday.
    What really helps for me is putting my hair up in a secure bun the whole day. I secure mine with 3 or 4 bobby pins because I have a lot of layers and it will simply not hold with a stick. This way I do not touch it, and it really has been the biggest help in going longer between washes. At night i redo the bun and move it to the top of my hair so I can sleep.
    Also, between normal washes, I do no 'poo washes. While my hair cannot handle going totally no 'poo , it is very happy with these mild in-between washes. this way your scalp won't feel that much need to overproduce sebum. I hope that helps some..

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Hi there, welcome

I've had problems with oily hair for as long as I can remember. When I first got into 'proper' long hair care I tried stretching between washes, CO, gentle shampoos, without much luck. The greasies have stayed, it's just my hair/scalp/skin type.
    Now I've accepted the fact that I'll always have to wash more frequently. I adjusted my routine accordingly.

I scalp wash every other day, and I try to go a day longer if possible (when I don't have to leave etc) or when my hair still looks acceptable. Look at your hair and see if it really needs a wash, don't wash because it's been x days since your last wash.
    I do use gentle shampoos.

However, using herbs to wash (soapwort) and using indigo to color have been the best things for me to prevent oily hair. It takes one or two extra days to become really greasy and in need of a wash, making it easier to stretch between washes.

I second the secure bun (or a tighter ponytail). It makes the greasies less visible and it keeps you from fiddling too much with it, causing more oiliness.

Good luck!

Length
    Pixie/Bob/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

When I can afford it, I *love* Biolage. Right now I'm on more of a Suave budget And it's good to know that washing your scalp every day/every other day might not be as big of a sin as I thought...

Length
    Pixie/Bob/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Oh, I have no problem with the hairdresser. I have a lovely woman who is probably the best hairdresser I've ever seen -- she's very knowledgeable about healthy hair, and also gives the best cuts. The only problem is that she's anywhere from $30 to $50 a pop, depending on where she's working. As a college student, a *musician* at that, I definitely don't have the income to support that!

As for growth goals, I figure if I'm growing my hair I ought to really do it, so I'd like to get to hip, maintain it there for a bit, and then donate it when I get tired of it/have the income to keep a shorter hairstyle looking fresh.