Thread: How to tell hair thickness?

Length
    12/30/40
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Default How to tell hair thickness?

Hi guys, this is my first time here; I'm new to the forum. I'm obsessed with hair... I have been growing my hair for 6 years now and have had it at a steady length all the way down my back. My hair is fairly curly/wavy. I don't know all the terms you guys know and I'm fairly clueless when it comes down to the basics. I'm fairly young, (20), and am fairly superficial, which is why I started growing my hair to begin with. I appreciate the other meaning and emotions people have with their hair for more important reasons, and reading another thread on here I've come to find that I may be attached to my hair for other reasons. But I feel like my hair is my child, and when bad things happen to it, I can barely find it in me to recover from them. Anyways, that's a whole other issue in itself, but I'm here to ask you hair geniuses a question I've wanted to know for a long time. I have always been told I have thick hair, but the strands themselves are fine, I do however, have a lot of hair (I think). In any event, what would you guys say, in terms of circumference is thick, medium, and thin hair? I haven't measured my circumference before, and I don't know what i, ii, iii, and the lot mean, however I'm very interested to find out.

As well, I'm wondering, is this the kind of forum where we can talk about celebrities hair and hair styles, or is this a very different type of hair forum?

Dangerous with scissors Accolady's Avatar
    Length
    64"/42"/48"
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Arrow Welcome, new member!

Hello and welcome!

To answer your initial question, I believe you may be
    referring to a hair typing system posted by Fia many years
    ago. Compliments and many thanks to Fox of The Long Hair Loom.

First classifier - Your curliness (or lack thereof)
    The straight ones
    1a - stick straight
    1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
    1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

The wavy ones
    2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
    2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
    2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

The curly ones
    3a - big, loose spiral curls
    3b - bouncy ringlets
    3c - tight corkscrews

The really curly ones
    4a - tightly coiled S-curls
    4b - tightly coiled hair bending in sharp angles (Z-pattern)

Second classifier - What (most of) your individual strands look like

F - Fine
    Thin strands that sometimes are almost translucent when held up to the light. Shed strands can be hard to see even against a contrasting background. Similar to hair found on many people of Scandinavian descent.

N - Normal
    Strands are neither fine nor coarse. Similar to hair found on many Caucasians.

C - Coarse
    Thick strands that where shed strands usually are easily identified against most backgrounds. Similar to hair found on many people of Asian or native American descent.

Third classifier - Your overall volume of hair
    Put your hair in a ponytail with as much hair as possible in it. Don't bother with the way it looks - the goal is to have most/all of your hair in there. If it means it sits smack dab on top of your head, put it there.

Measure the circumference of the ponytail. If you have bangs and/or you can't get all of your hair in there adjust according to how much of your hair you have measured.

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
    ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
    iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)

If you are having difficulty determining the thickness of individual hairs, this might help:

Take a strand of hair from the back of your head. Roll the strand between your thumb and index finger.

Fine Hair -- Your hair is difficult to feel or it feels like an ultra-fine strand of silk

Coarse Hair -- Your hair feels hard and wiry. As you roll it back and forth, you may actually hear it!

Medium Hair -- Your hair feels like a cotton thread. You can feel it, but it isn't stiff or rough. It is neither fine or coarse

We look forward to seeing many more of your posts. There are so many
    categories to choose from, as well as specific groups such as cat lovers,
    dog lovers, all sorts of people are here and waiting to chat with you!

Do lots of clicking, check out all the wonderful things on the site, for sure!

Welcome aboard!

Karen Marie
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    It is more important to have self-respect than to gain respect from others.
    --Madeleine de Scudéry (1607-1701)

Length
    23/30/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

thank you accolady. I too had been wondering!
    I don't know where that info went after the forum changeover. Can't find it anywhere.
    Jessica (not jessi, lol)

Length
    23/29/BSL
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/ii

This thread was SO helpful!
    ~ Sofoulee ~
    ...the curly girl...

Default Re: How to tell hair thickness?

I just found this thread and I wanted to say a HUGE "Thank you" to Accolady. Im new here and was clueless when trying to do my profile.

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but as it is old, I hope it will be okay. I didn't feel like making a new thread.

I have some confusion about the overall thickness. My hair is straightened today, so the results is a bit different to what I usually get. But...

When I put my hair in a high pony, it measures 6 cm. When I put it in two low rat-tails, each measures 4 cm, making the overall thickness 8 cm. In both of the 'styles', all my hair is incorporated. Can anyone explain this to me?

My usual thickness in a pony is 7 cm (when my hair is not straightened)
    Just a small selection of hairstyles I have done
    My Brand-new blog: http://hairdiarydash.blog.com
    Password: LHC

Quote Originally Posted by DancingQueen View Post
    When I put my hair in a high pony, it measures 6 cm. When I put it in two low rat-tails, each measures 4 cm, making the overall thickness 8 cm. In both of the 'styles', all my hair is incorporated. Can anyone explain this to me?

My usual thickness in a pony is 7 cm (when my hair is not straightened)
    No! Very elementary math... You can't just add up the circumferences of the individual ponys! If you have more ponys, you calculate the overall cross sectional area first and then calculate back the circumference (diameter or radius first) from that.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PolarCathy View Post
    No! Very elementary math... You can't just add up the circumferences of the individual ponys! If you have more ponys, you calculate the overall cross sectional area first and then calculate back the circumference (diameter or radius first) from that.
    Oh my god, sorry! I can't believe I didn't think about that. To think I got the highest possible grade in math exam.

I guess I was sleeping a little, but thank you for the help.
    Just a small selection of hairstyles I have done
    My Brand-new blog: http://hairdiarydash.blog.com
    Password: LHC

Type
    3a/M/ii

The pi drops out, so it's the same as calculating the hypotenuse of a right triangle each of whose sides is a ponytail. The hair of the hippopotamus...
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Length
    22"/30"/Term
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

I used to be good at math in school but those formulas for the two ponies look like downright gibberish to me. I need to take a refresher course. LOL

ANYWAY to be on the safe side just measure one pony and pull the string (or whatever you're measuring with) as tightly as possible.
    "Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest you." -Mother Teresa Buy some of my hand carved hair sticks in my Etsy shop! And be sure to watch my hair in action on my youtube