Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New...choosing between blonde hair and long hair

Length
    23/25/tb
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Talking New...choosing between blonde hair and long hair

Hi! I've posted here once before but my hair story is a bit different than when it was months ago when I first signed up.

I used to be bleach blonde, and my hair wasn't healthy. I thought I could grow it out, but it seemed like it just wouldn't grow. I got tired of seeing people with long, shiny, healthy hair and wishing it was mine, so I trimmed my dead ends off (about 3 inches!) and colored it close to natural again.

I plan on keeping my hair this color as I grow it out. I hope I can do it. I loved my blonde hair, but I chose to have long hair instead, and I know I'm not going to regret it.

Length
    17.25/17.25/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Default Re: New...choosing between blonde hair and long hair

Welcome!

I made the same choice, a little over a year ago.

In my quest for beautiful blonde I actually spent a lot of time with less-than-beautiful hair. Finally, especially because of hard water that was brassing out my blonde within days of coloring, I went back to brunette. Then I decided that I wanted to commit to growing out my hair, as healthy as possible, and found this site.

Ultimately, I decided to give up blonde hair for (the very permanent choice of) henndigo brunette hair, while also giving up my flat iron, daily blow drying, daily washing, expensive products, and cutting.

It's been almost a year since my last trim, a year since I've used a flat iron, a year since I used chemical color, and now my favorite hair products are honey, aloe gel, Nizoral shampoo, Suave conditioner, coconut oil and MN.

My hair has never been so shiny, strong, or healthy. And it grew about six inches this past year. It's not phenomenal growth or anything, but I'm happy with it, and I also gained some thickness. Even without a trim for this past year, I have NO split ends.

Honestly, while I admire blonde hair a lot still, I haven't had the desire for it for myself. I'm really happy with the choice I made.

Good luck on your hair journey. Stick around here and do some reading, you will learn A LOT!! There is a wealth of information and a ton of things to try and experiment and have fun with.
    Chin...Shoulder...Collarbone...APL...BSL...Waist!
    << I miss this hair
    DanielleDoucette.com

Length
    14.5/31/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Maybe check out this thread, although I know its large, there's alot of great info on it:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...=bottle+blonde

More than likely there's a way to get the color you want, take care of it and grow it long. Sometimes we get to have our cake and eat it too! Good luck on your journey.

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Hi and welcome to the boards.
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    23/25/tb
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzal2Be View Post
    Welcome!
    Finally, especially because of hard water that was brassing out my blonde within days of coloring, I went back to brunette.
    My blonde went brassy fast too! Every time I went platinum, I was back to yellow within a week. I'm wondering if that was my problem too, I just learned 85% of homes have hard water.

Length
    23/25/tb
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Oskimosa View Post
    Maybe check out this thread, although I know its large, there's alot of great info on it:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...=bottle+blonde

More than likely there's a way to get the color you want, take care of it and grow it long. Sometimes we get to have our cake and eat it too! Good luck on your journey.
    Thank you! I will read that thread, I know of only one dye that I will use from now on, it's only semi-permanent and I don't plan on lightening anymore at all. I'm planning on using it around Halloween. I love your color by the way!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

We have a few bleach blondes around this site who found that with gentle handling and deep conditioning treatments they are able to keep their blonde locks.

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    We have a few bleach blondes around this site who found that with gentle handling and deep conditioning treatments they are able to keep their blonde locks.

Yes we do.

I have hard well water....I do a final rinse with 12 ounces of distilled water, keeps my blonde from going brassy.
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    17.25/17.25/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Just wanted to add, that my choice was a personal one, and that I think the brunette suits me, so I am happy with it.

I completely believe that it is possible for people to have gorgeous blonde hair and grow it long and strong. In fact, I envy the blondes on this board.

For me, though, add in my fine and thin hair, and the uncertainty I found in trying to find the right shade of blonde for myself, I think a better (and easier) option for growing long was to give up the blonde.

But don't think it's your *only* option. I agree, if you really want to, you can have your cake and eat it, too!
    Chin...Shoulder...Collarbone...APL...BSL...Waist!
    << I miss this hair
    DanielleDoucette.com

Length
    20/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Oh I have been in your situation so many times! Choosing between long and blonde... :

After joining here in january I've learned that you can do both! My hair is longer, thicker and healthier than ever, and I still highlight it! It used to be in TERRIBLE condition but now its great and Im even receiving compliments on it, for the first time in my life!

So if you truly love being a blonde, it is possible! Although Im sure its easier and might be less work to grow long without the blonde... But nothing comes for free, right?

Good luck and hally growing!
    I COCONUT OIL
    Lady Eliniviere, Guardian of the Long Blonde Tresses in the Order of The Long Haired Knights