Results 4,421 to 4,430 of 4430

Thread: Knee and Beyond

Length
    ??/Ankle/Floor
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Knee and Beyond

Hello my lovely friends!

Have any of y'all attempted a crown braid? How do you deal with the extra length that must be wrapped around your head?

I've tried threading the rest of my braid through the strands at the back of my head that were added in at the beginning (the pieces you bring into the braid as you go around), but it looks sort of funky and I'd like to see if there's a neater and prettier way to wrap & secure the rest of the hair.

Thanks in advance!!

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

I don't think I've ever done a proper crown braid, only a coronet when my hair got long enough. My thought, like you, would be to weave the remainder around or tuck it under, but if that's too awkward, maybe secure it in a low braided bun? I'd try it but think I'd just end up with a knotted mess

Edit: I found a thread that might be useful: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=146887
    Last edited by lapis_lazuli; April 22nd, 2024 at 08:31 PM.

Length
    ??/Ankle/Floor
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Thank you! I'll do some tests whenever I have time to mess around with it.

I might get ambitious and try to do a spiral version, similar to this one from the Image Macros thread:

I'm trying to find a method where I can a) use few to no pins, b) have all my hair wrapped securely, and c) still look classic and cute. We'll see...

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LongHairFaerie View Post
    Hello my lovely friends!

Have any of y'all attempted a crown braid? How do you deal with the extra length that must be wrapped around your head?

I've tried threading the rest of my braid through the strands at the back of my head that were added in at the beginning (the pieces you bring into the braid as you go around), but it looks sort of funky and I'd like to see if there's a neater and prettier way to wrap & secure the rest of the hair.

Thanks in advance!!
    I don’t do a true crown braid anymore because French/Dutch braids have too high of a tanglemaking potential these days, but when I coronet braid (English braid wrapped around my head) I just tuck the extra length under the first braid. My taper means it’s quite easy to do and honestly it just sort of naturally happens.
    I woke up like this (brushing the top of my calves somehow??)

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Even when my hair was shorter I struggled to make secure crown braids. With a coronet, once I've made the full circle and added in all the hair, I continue braiding enough to make a second loop around my head. That part I tuck into the "pocket," and curl whatever hair remains into a spiral and tuck that. It usually only takes three pins to secure--two at the nape of the neck and one at the skinniest part of the "pocket" on whichever side I initially started braiding.

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I might get ambitious and try to do a spiral version, similar to this one from the Image Macros thread:

I'm trying to find a method where I can a) use few to no pins, b) have all my hair wrapped securely, and c) still look classic and cute. We'll see...
    I'm nowhere near knee length but I tried the spiral years ago and it looked more like the second version. It's a tricky one.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    ??/Ankle/Floor
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    Even when my hair was shorter I struggled to make secure crown braids. With a coronet, once I've made the full circle and added in all the hair, I continue braiding enough to make a second loop around my head. That part I tuck into the "pocket," and curl whatever hair remains into a spiral and tuck that. It usually only takes three pins to secure--two at the nape of the neck and one at the skinniest part of the "pocket" on whichever side I initially started braiding.
    Hmmm...I'm trying to understand what you mean here. My understanding of a coronet braid is just a standard English braid wrapped around the head, whereas a crown braid is braided to the scalp using Dutch braid methods. How do you do it/what hair are you adding in? Is the "pocket" that area where you initially divide your hair to braid? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    I'm nowhere near knee length but I tried the spiral years ago and it looked more like the second version. It's a tricky one.
    I have a feeling that's what mine will look like, too! At least for the first several tries haha

Length
    Short/Waist/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

NGL, this absolutely made me laugh

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Hmmm...I'm trying to understand what you mean here. My understanding of a coronet braid is just a standard English braid wrapped around the head, whereas a crown braid is braided to the scalp using Dutch braid methods. How do you do it/what hair are you adding in? Is the "pocket" that area where you initially divide your hair to braid? Thanks!
    Oh! I was using the terms the exact opposite way XD I learned the style from text instructions on here that I think were called "Granny's Coronet" or "Granny [first name]'s Coronet" or something like that. Searching did not immediately turn it up and I wish I were remembering the name better ) : It uses a French adding technique, though, not Dutch, so you get a nice fat "pocket" running all the way around your head between where the braid sits and your hairline. I'll try and take a photo the next time I wear one.

Edit: Here it is! "Nanny Pauline's Coronet." I skip the first step as I like a hard center part.
    Last edited by shelomit; April 25th, 2024 at 09:15 AM.

Length
    ??/Ankle/Floor
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    Oh! I was using the terms the exact opposite way XD I learned the style from text instructions on here that I think were called "Granny's Coronet" or "Granny [first name]'s Coronet" or something like that. Searching did not immediately turn it up and I wish I were remembering the name better ) : It uses a French adding technique, though, not Dutch, so you get a nice fat "pocket" running all the way around your head between where the braid sits and your hairline. I'll try and take a photo the next time I wear one.

Edit: Here it is! "Nanny Pauline's Coronet." I skip the first step as I like a hard center part.
    Thank you! I like the idea of winding and tucking the tassel. I would love to see a picture to better visualize.

It's funny that one of the comments on that thread was by "longhairedfairy" and I am "LongHairFaerie"...great hair-covered minds think alike, I guess?