Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ceramides

Length
    ?/34 in/36 in
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Ceramides

Just got through reading how ceramides help damaged hair and thought you all may be interested in oils high in ceramides...They help make hair smooth and strong.

Safflower oil 78%
    Grape seed oil 73%
    Poppyseed oil 70%
    Sunflower oil 68%
    Hemp oil 60%
    Corn oil 59%
    Wheat germ oil 55%
    Cottonseed oil 54%
    Soybean oil 51%
    Walnut oil 51%
    Sesame oil 45%
    Rice bran oil 39%
    Pistachio oil 32.7%
    Peanut oil 32% [17]
    Canola oil 21%
    Egg yolk 16%
    Linseed oil 15%
    Lard 10%
    Olive oil 10%
    Palm oil 10%
    Cocoa butter 3%
    Macadamia oil 2%
    Butter 2%
    Coconut oil 2%

Also, here is a article about ceramides.....

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ir.html?cat=69

Length
    Nape/28.5/30
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Ceramides

My hairdresser uses a hair treatment that contains ceramides everytimes I go there and it helps my hair so much! I don't remember the name of it though.. I want to finish my products before buying a new one.

That makes me wanna buy wheat germ oil...it's more natural and I can find it at the health store I go to. Thanks a lot!

Length
    chin/apl/waist
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Interesting, thanks for the list.

What benefit do ceramides have for the hair? I see my usual oils of preference are very low on the list, I wonder if I should switch to a one higher in ceramides for use every now and then
    Follow my grey grow out adventure and hair care blog at http://www.lifeinsliver.com

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

Thank you so much for the list and the article!
    This is perfect timing for me: I want to add more oils to my haircare routine and have been using coconut oil and olive so far. Coconut oil for moisture and to prevent protein loss and olive oil to strengthen. Interesting that neither are high on the list for ceramide content
    Maybe I should try some grape seed oil as well? (No way will I get my hands on safflower oil!)
    What is the source for the list by the way? Wikipedia?

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Does anyone know the percentage in Camellia Oil? Thanks.
    Shawneez thanks for the link.

Account Closed by Member Request

Hemp seed oil is amazing! I cannot stress that enough! My hair just loves it.

I knew grapeseed oil had ceramides in it, but I could never find proof online. I have been using it for a long time, then switched to Sunflower oil and noticed that the Sunflower oil made my hair feel the same way that the grapeseed oil had been. I knew there was a reason why I loved grapeseed oil as much as I do. Thanks so much for this information.

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

So, since the majority of oils on this list don't penetrate the hair shaft, my question is do the ceramides penetrate the hair shaft or just coat it?

also - I love Grapeseed for my skin and occasionally use it on my hair. Coconut and Avocado are my go to oils for moisture. But my prefers Camellia or Macadamia above all others. If I want to do a light, dry oiling and have my hair looking shiny and soft, it's Camellia or Macadamia or nuthin!!
    Last edited by aenflex; September 14th, 2010 at 12:24 PM.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Lately when I S&D, I think how some of my hair looks like it's falling apart at the bottom, so this information is coming right on time. I've been using only coconut oil for quite some time now, but I have some cold-pressed sesame oil in the kitchen and will try it. Does anyone know whether cold-pressed oils are preferable to the usual heat-extracted oils when it comes to ceramides? There wasn't anything in the linked article about that. I think I have some safflower oil in the kitchen, too, but it's not cold-pressed.

Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

I use and like oils with ceramides!
    Wheat germ oil works great for me, though it's smelly! Sunflower oil is cheap and readily available at every supermarket, so that might be good (and it can be used for cooking as well..)

ETA:

Ceramides bind to the hair reducing the porosity

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Lately when I S&D, I think how some of my hair looks like it's falling apart at the bottom, so this information is coming right on time. I've been using only coconut oil for quite some time now, but I have some cold-pressed sesame oil in the kitchen and will try it. Does anyone know whether cold-pressed oils are preferable to the usual heat-extracted oils when it comes to ceramides? There wasn't anything in the linked article about that. I think I have some safflower oil in the kitchen, too, but it's not cold-pressed.
    Last edited by Gumball; September 15th, 2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Combined posts into ETA.
    NECK SL APL MBL WAIST HIP TBL CLASSIC
    Wishing for sparkly Ficcare Unicorns: Large or medium Superstars