Page 1 of 420 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair care of movie stars from the past - oil-shampoo

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Hair care of movie stars from the past - oil-shampoo

Carole Lombard's Hair

One of my favorite movie stars of the past era is Carole Lombard,
    http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=...w=1259&bih=528.

Biography
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001479/bio

A nice colour picture of Carole Lombard's hair. You can see the deep shine it had to it (Click to enlarge), http://carolelombard.org/wp-content/...04587d03_b.jpg. The entire article, http://carolelombard.org/a-little-more-about-the-ranch.

One of the things I like to do is see if I can find out how the hair was kept and treated in those days. This is what I found.

This article, linked in the blue text, Now You Can Have Luscious Locks Like Lombard! is by the stylist who took care of Carole Lombard's hair, most likely until the star's untimely death. "Eventually I invented a shampoo which has a cocoanut oil and castile soap base. It has proved quite satisfactory. ... Because I wash her hair every day, I give it only one quick soaping, rubbing it well. Then I rinse it thoroughly, ending with a lemon, or vinegar rinse."

Notice #1 Plagiarism, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=3626

A link to The Article on this thread, that is continually updated, and contains itemized information on various topics within the thread.

A link to the Summary Post

A link to Selected oil shampoo discussion posts

A link to Understanding the Drying Capacity of Oils

A link to Coconut Oil brands

A link to Optimal and Final Optimal Results Shampoos

A link to Unsuccessful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 1. #'s 1 - 9

A link to Unsuccessful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 2. #'s 10 -

A link to Coconut Oil Shampoo and Hair Colour Results, including Henna

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 1. Results #'s 1 - 13

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 2. Results #'s 14 - 20

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Resipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 3. Result #'s 21 - 29

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Resipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 4. #'s 30 - 39

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 5. #'s 40 - 48

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 6. #'s 49 - 54

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 7. #'s 55 - 66

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 8. #'s 67 - 75

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 9. #'s 76 - 86

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 10. #'s 87 - 95

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 11. #'s 96 - 106

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 12. #'s 107 -118

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 13. #'s 119 - 127

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 14. #'s 128 - 138

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results, from Members Here, Post 15. #'s 139 -151

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results from Members Here, Post 16. #'s 152 - 162

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results from Members Here, Post 17. #'s 163 - 174

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results from Members Here, Post 18. #'s 175 - 185

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results from Members Here, Post 19. #'s186 - 197

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results from Members Here, Post 20. #'s 198 -239

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results from Members Here, Post 21. #'s 240 -270

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results from Members Here, Post 22. #'s 271 -308

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results from Members Here, Post 23. #'s 309 - 355

A link to Successful Oil Shampoo Recipes and Results from Members Here, Post 24. #'s 356 - 410
    Last edited by ktani; February 3rd, 2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Update to make the post more readable

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Hair care of movie stars from the past

Very cool, I love this sort of stuff! Thankyou!
    SOCK BUN ADDICT
    STASH CHALLENGE & NO DYE CHALLENGE

Quote Originally Posted by LouLaLa View Post
    Very cool, I love this sort of stuff! Thankyou!
    My pleasure! I really like to know how they did things in those days and how they got the hair to look so good.

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

She was really beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Length
    SL/Hip/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

Her techniques weren't that far off from LHC's!

Thanks for sharing.
    Wobbly are the walls ofmy mind. ~ Hip onward to tailbone and beyond~ No trimming 2021 from 8th February 2021 ~ My hair type is Asian.

Length
    15/32.5/40
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    "Eventually I invented a shampoo which has a cocoanut oil and castile soap base. It has proved quite satisfactory. ... Because I wash her hair every day, I give it only one quick soaping, rubbing it well. Then I rinse it thoroughly, ending with a lemon, or vinegar rinse."
    Wow! She had it spot on!! That's awesome!
    Last edited by TinaDenali; October 6th, 2010 at 03:03 PM.
    From chin in March 2012 to APL in March 2013 and on to BSL in the future...

Length
    Shldr/???/BSL
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

What a wonderful article. I love things about that time period and hair care!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    Her techniques weren't that far off from LHC's!

Thanks for sharing.
    You are all welcome! And I noticed that too. The movie hair stylists were challenged to make the hair look good not only for the stars but for the photographers.

From the article in the first post.
    “When she’s working, I shampoo her hair every morning. Her hair is really fine and we found that most soaps made it “fly” — which drove photographers crazy."

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

That was a very interesting and informative article ktani.

I was actually taken aback when I read that Lombard's hairstylist recommended that you should wash your hair frequently, especially if you want to get those 'shining waves' that Lombard was known for. This goes against what many members here on LHC strive to do which is to stretch out and limit the amount of washings so that they leave more of their natural sebum to coat their hair.

I'm also amazed that in the article, it never mentioned that she used any oils in her hair. I suppose the special coconut oil & castile soap that her stylist used to wash her hair would have been very gentle, but would it have been conditioning enough? Wouldn't anything, even coconut oil combined with something alkaline like a soap be naturally drying to your hair? I'm thinking that its very fortunate that such a routine happened to work for Carole Lombard, but for the vast majority of people they would definitely need to include a conditioner, an SMT, some oils, catnip, henna or some kind of conditioning agent into their haircare routine. What is your professional opinion ktani?

Length
    20.5"/25"/32"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

Oh, this is neat . I love Eva Longoria, especially her role in Desperate Housewives (now I want to watch it ), and her hair is just so nice looking.

According to the internet (eheh), she uses all of Ken Paves' products. I've never seen any of them around here, though :/.

ETA: She isn't from the past, but she's a star with pretty hair . I don't know many past stars.
    20" 21" 22" 23" 24" 25"26" 27" 28" 29"