Thread: Hair care of movie stars from the past - oil-shampoo

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    short/15"/23"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Default Re: Hair care of movie stars from the past

I'm the update I'm the update!

Ita with ktani, the effects are cumulative, meaning that now the coconut oil has been absorbed and done it's wonderful work, I need much less of it now. Case in point: Yesterday my hair was greasy so I washed once with white rain coconut alone then with coconut oil added to it. Even though I had done that it was still greasy so this morning I decided to use the shampoo alone and then evaluate from there.

I shampooed once with my white rain coconut. That's it. Ran my fingers through.....soft and no tangles....so I decided to experiment and just did my final distilled water rinse.

My hair was soft and smooth and shiny all day.

Conclusion: My hair is absorbing what it needs and now I may not need as much.

In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by rymorg2 View Post
    I'm the update I'm the update!

Ita with ktani, the effects are cumulative, meaning that now the coconut oil has been absorbed and done it's wonderful work, I need much less of it now. Case in point: Yesterday my hair was greasy so I washed once with white rain coconut alone then with coconut oil added to it. Even though I had done that it was still greasy so this morning I decided to use the shampoo alone and then evaluate from there.

I shampooed once with my white rain coconut. That's it. Ran my fingers through.....soft and no tangles....so I decided to experiment and just did my final distilled water rinse.

My hair was soft and smooth and shiny all day.

Conclusion: My hair is absorbing what it needs and now I may not need as much.
    Thank you for the report! ETA: Added to successful results (and I did not give away your results).

Yes, you are the mystery update! Confirmed.

However your report is much more than that! Optimal results without the oil added! Results are not only cumulative. They can mean, as they do here, that the results last, at least one shampoo later!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ktani; December 10th, 2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: ETA

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I had to stop trying this method finally.

A few times I had good results with Dr. Bronner's Lavender 1 teaspoon and 1/8 teaspoon of VCO in 16 ounces of water... well, I had good results really only once - when I added a squirt of honey. I think the honey helps emulsify the oil and castile soap together or something. Because when I ran out of honey I couldn't get it to work any more - OILY hair!!! And this is with 1/8 of a teaspoon of VCO!!!

And I got build up. BAD build up from the Dr. Bronner's or honey I think... So I clarified and tried it again another time and instant build up!!!

I would definitely try this if I could find a shampoo that didn't make my hair fall out... pretty much every SLS shampoo makes my hair fall so much I would be afraid to experiment...

So I guess for me (at least for now) this method is out.

However I can add a drop or 2 of coconut oil to my shampoo bar foam and get away with it...
    rats spelled backwards spells star

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Makes sense ktani, tho the coating washes off usually fine if I do not use crap that my hair hates like henna. Whereas the l.acid doesn't come off. Got me, plus my hair will never improve, and it ignores reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ratgirldjh View Post
    I had to stop trying this method finally.

A few times I had good results with Dr. Bronner's Lavender 1 teaspoon and 1/8 teaspoon of VCO in 16 ounces of water... well, I had good results really only once - when I added a squirt of honey. I think the honey helps emulsify the oil and castile soap together or something. Because when I ran out of honey I couldn't get it to work any more - OILY hair!!! And this is with 1/8 of a teaspoon of VCO!!!

And I got build up. BAD build up from the Dr. Bronner's or honey I think... So I clarified and tried it again another time and instant build up!!!

I would definitely try this if I could find a shampoo that didn't make my hair fall out... pretty much every SLS shampoo makes my hair fall so much I would be afraid to experiment...

So I guess for me (at least for now) this method is out.

However I can add a drop or 2 of coconut oil to my shampoo bar foam and get away with it...
    Thank you for your report! I will add it to unsuccessful results.

Honey residue! I would bet on it! I am now convinced that it is beeswax particles, from its behaviour.

You do not have to give this up, yet. If you have been following the last few pages (I do not blame you if not), once you get a good result, less coconut oil is needed each time afterward.

You may be able to find a non sulfate basic shampoo to use with this.

Or, you could test my theory (I will not blame you if you pass on it either).

Clarify with baking soda (completely dissolved) followed by a well diluted vinegar rinse. Then, more completely dissolved baking soda to which you add coconut oil. Follow that with another well diluted vinegar rinse. Once you reach the saturation point for your hair with the coconut oil, you may find you can use your shampoo bar and vinegar rinse alone! See, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=995.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyBeth View Post
    Makes sense ktani, tho the coating washes off usually fine if I do not use crap that my hair hates like henna. Whereas the l.acid doesn't come off. Got me, plus my hair will never improve, and it ignores reason.
    I know that you are not well right now. Both you and your hair hopefully will recover very soon.

Try one of the shampoos and methods reported here in the latest successful results. I have every faith in your reason!
    Last edited by ktani; December 10th, 2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: added link and text

Length
    short/15"/23"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Thank you for the report! ETA: Added to successful results (and I did not give away your results).

Yes, you are the mystery update! Confirmed.

However your report is much more than that! Optimal results without the oil added! Results are not only cumulative. They can mean, as they do here, that the results last, at least one shampoo later!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
    You are quite welcome! Thanks for leaving me the big reveal!

I agree....the thought of not using ANY condish or coconut oil and yet getting this hair is AWESOME! I'll be sure to go by the way my hair feels daily.

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Ktani, this now will just stall my hair. The missing outer layers that protect the cortex will never recover from the PPD damage further. Natural doesn't guard enough, so I just fake it now.

Quote Originally Posted by rymorg2 View Post
    You are quite welcome! Thanks for leaving me the big reveal!

I agree....the thought of not using ANY condish or coconut oil and yet getting this hair is AWESOME! I'll be sure to go by the way my hair feels daily.
    My pleasure! This was much more fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And excellent idea. I cannot predict how long the results can last!

Quote Originally Posted by MandyBeth View Post
    Ktani, this now will just stall my hair. The missing outer layers that protect the cortex will never recover from the PPD damage further. Natural doesn't guard enough, so I just fake it now.
    It does not have to mean that. You can still use conditioner. If a coconut oil shampoo works well, you should find that you need less of the coatings (conditioner and silicone) than you are using now, lighter versions too. Check out report #119, and updates, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=906. The effects of the shampoo are cumulative. See Successful Results Post 14 and the other link I posted there. Scroll to the bottom of the post here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...86&postcount=1.
    Last edited by ktani; December 10th, 2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: added link and text

Length
    8/20/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

Back again with a little more detail!

Also, a quick thanks to ktani: I agree that making the shampoo up ahead of time is probably going to be asking for trouble. I don't want to waste any of my precious coconut oil!

tonight I tried a ratio of 1:1/2:2 for my coconut oil (Spectrum virgin coconut oil), Honey (bear shaped bottle from wal-mart), Suave Tropical Coconut shampoo respectively. I could not believe how much lather I got out of that cup! I warmed all the ingredients up as my coconut oil was hard from being inside the fridge, but was shocked at how much foam!! Anyway, after a rinse, I felt like my hair was "gunky." Sort of like the first time (when I think I overoiled during the CV bar suds and had to use a clarify-er to sweep it away). So, instead of re-using shampoo, I took my Garnier Triple Nutrition and applied it from about the ends down. Then, I rinsed. I held off of the ACV rinse that I love so much in part due to fatigue (I wanted to see what y'all were up to on LHC, WHAT?!!?) and because sometimes I think ACV dries me out.

In addition, drum roll please, I tried something new out of the shower. I DID NOT COMB, NOT EVEN FINGER COMB for at least 30 minutes post-shower. I know, I know, I am really starting to adopt this benign neglect I read so much about! Then, I could not take it anymore and HAD to get it combed out! So, it is DEFINITELY drying faster, feels thick... however, after plowing through a bunch of successful posts, and I can't remember who had this happen to them previously, I am wondering if that "gunky" feeling I have gotten the last 2 times after I rinse the suds out would be very beneficial once my hair dries. :shrugs:

Goals for future: Find a sulfate free shampoo (I am trying to use up this Suave coconut stuff that I accidentally bought thinking it was the conditioner UGH! ), AND leave that gunky feeling alone in my hair after I rinse out the oil shampoo to see if I end up looking like a wet seal or a hair model when it is dry!!! Cheers to all who are experimenting.

Length
    ?/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Rymorg, I'm glad to hear the shampoo alone put things to rights. I'm going to try that next wash! (whicch will probably be tomorrow as my hair is oily looking)

~Proud member of the Renegray Gang~