Page 51 of 420 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair care of movie stars from the past - oil-shampoo

Length
    waist/calf/term
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hair care of movie stars from the past

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    You are most welcome! Please update here with your results.

Will do!
    Lady Bernadetta of the Fabulous Four Tops Forever Fanatics ~
    in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights!

Length
    21.5/25.0/30
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

I tried this with olive oil this morning. I wouldn't call it a resounding success but I don't look like an oil slick, so it's not a failure either!

I put about 1/4 tsp olive oil with 1/3 tsp shampoo on my scalp. I also lightly conditioned my scalp as usual.

My scalp hair seems softer and more well behaved, but not a huge difference.

I will try again tomorrow with more oil and using the mixture over my entire hair and not just my scalp. Do most others use on just their scalp, or do you work the mixture into your ends too?
    Lady Miluiel of the Guiding Heart in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~ Find Routine ~ BSL ~ Grow Layers Out ~ Mid-Back ~ Tail Bone ~ Thicken Ends ~

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I tried this with olive oil this morning. I wouldn't call it a resounding success but I don't look like an oil slick, so it's not a failure either!

I put about 1/4 tsp olive oil with 1/3 tsp shampoo on my scalp. I also lightly conditioned my scalp as usual.

My scalp hair seems softer and more well behaved, but not a huge difference.

I will try again tomorrow with more oil and using the mixture over my entire hair and not just my scalp. Do most others use on just their scalp, or do you work the mixture into your ends too?
    Most people are using the oil shampoo on their scalp and hair. I will file thus under success and let people read it for themselves.

You will not get the benefits others have reported from adding coconut oil to shampoo, with olive oil. It cannot do what the lauric acid in coconut oil can because it does not contain a fatty acid that can penetrate hair to the cortex level. If you are ok with that, you may find that this works well for you in a different way.

Good luck! I look forward to your update.
    Last edited by ktani; November 23rd, 2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: adjust text

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Today I used restourceful's recipe - 1 tablespoon Dr. Bronner's Lavender - 1/2 teaspoon VCO - a squirt of honey (didn't have a full T left) and 16 ounces (i probably used 18 oz) of water.

I must say this lathered like crazy! And it made a LOT of shampoo - but I used the whole bottle - and it didn't dry out my hair.

Afterwards I used an ACV rinse (lemons don't work well on my hair) with 1 tablespoon of ACV in a liter of water.

My hair is slightly oily in spots - but all in all is very shiny and smooth! And the ends are not crunchy like they get if I use VCO on dry hair. Hopefully by tomorrow the extra VCO will soak in.

It might be because my VCO wasn't entirely liquid when I put it into the bottle of warm water - probably some little chunks caught in my hair. Next time I will make sure I use liquid.

But all in all this has worked better than my poo bar (which I had used yesterday and ended up with OILY hair) and so decided to wash again today with this method - this also might have been why some oil is still left in my hair... I started with semi-oily hair...
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Quote Originally Posted by ratgirldjh View Post
    Today I used restourceful's recipe - 1 tablespoon Dr. Bronner's Lavender - 1/2 teaspoon VCO - a squirt of honey (didn't have a full T left) and 16 ounces (i probably used 18 oz) of water.

I must say this lathered like crazy! And it made a LOT of shampoo - but I used the whole bottle - and it didn't dry out my hair.

Afterwards I used an ACV rinse (lemons don't work well on my hair) with 1 tablespoon of ACV in a liter of water.

My hair is slightly oily in spots - but all in all is very shiny and smooth! And the ends are not crunchy like they get if I use VCO on dry hair. Hopefully by tomorrow the extra VCO will soak in.

It might be because my VCO wasn't entirely liquid when I put it into the bottle of warm water - probably some little chunks caught in my hair. Next time I will make sure I use liquid.

But all in all this has worked better than my poo bar (which I had used yesterday and ended up with OILY hair) and so decided to wash again today with this method - this also might have been why some oil is still left in my hair... I started with semi-oily hair...
    Thank you for the report! I will file it under success and I look forward to any update.

One of the many things of interest about coconut oil added to a shampoo, is that it does not act like coconut oil on dry or damp hair. I think as some one else has said, that is partly because the distribution is more even (except in this case), only a small amount of the oil's lauric acid is absorbed into hair, although enough to make a substantial difference to not using the oil, and what is not absorbed into hair as deeply (other fatty acids) that are not washed out are coating the hair lightly.

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Hey ktani, I forgot to mention that when I mixed my coconut oil and shampoo in a bottle, I also added some water to the mixture, as I dilute my shampoo normally. I don't know the exact measurement, but I would guess it was about 10:1 water to shampoo.

I'm going to do a second oil shampoo wash today, this time using Aubrey Organics Chamomile shampoo. I will report back at 0 500!

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by melikai View Post
    Hey ktani, I forgot to mention that when I mixed my coconut oil and shampoo in a bottle, I also added some water to the mixture, as I dilute my shampoo normally. I don't know the exact measurement, but I would guess it was about 10:1 water to shampoo.

I'm going to do a second oil shampoo wash today, this time using Aubrey Organics Chamomile shampoo. I will report back at 0 500!
    Thank you for the details!

I cannot add it to your last report (no room in the post) but I can include it with your next one and reference your last one, lol. I will do that tomorrow.

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Next time I will probably try 1 teaspoon of Dr. Bronner's and 1/8 teaspoon of VCO in 9 ounces or so of water - because my hair was a little oily after.

But this does work! I just think I need to tweak the recipe. Oh and I need to get more honey if I am going to use it - it seemed to work good - but I remember honey built up on my hair - so may try it next time without.

djh
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Quote Originally Posted by ratgirldjh View Post
    Next time I will probably try 1 teaspoon of Dr. Bronner's and 1/8 teaspoon of VCO in 9 ounces or so of water - because my hair was a little oily after.

But this does work! I just think I need to tweak the recipe. Oh and I need to get more honey if I am going to use it - it seemed to work good - but I remember honey built up on my hair - so may try it next time without.

djh
    Noted.

I am so pleased that this is working well for you other than a few adjustments.

You are right about the honey. Honey residue can be an issue. It is best removed with shampoo. In a shampoo? I am not sure it would be all washed out. It would depend on how much there is of it.
    Last edited by ktani; November 23rd, 2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Ktani, I have been adding honey consistently to all my different recipes and I don't feel like it is building up at all. Evidently, the soap distributes it in the same way it does the coconut oil.
    Utlizing only the Contacts portion of the Friends list feature.