View Poll Results: What is your weapon of choice??

Voters
237. You may not vote on this poll
  • Finger combing

73 30.80%
  • Wide tooth comb only

121 51.05%
  • BBB to distribute oils

53 22.36%
  • Regular brush

73 30.80%
  • CHEESE

15 6.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To brush or not to brush

[Insert something clever] BrightEyes7's Avatar
    Length
    APL/BSL/Done
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Red face To brush or not to brush

That is the question. How many of you have sworn off brushes forever after joining LHC? How many just use a BBB to distribute oil? And how many of you just couldn't or wouldn't kick the brush habit?

Personally I love my wood quil brush. Couldn't live without it. Sure I detangle with my wide tooth comb but once my hair is dry I need to brush. It just smoothes my hair in ways a comb never could. I also use my BBB to distribute my coconut oil when I do my deep treatments.

So tell me if/why/why not you use a brush!!!
    Straightened.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: To brush or not to brush

I voted fingercombing and comb. I do use a BBB, but just to smooth down updos, not to properly distribute oils.

Length
    3 in./BSL/TLB
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

I voted 'regular brush' but I really do a little of everything.

I swore off of brushing for a while but fingercombing and using combs did not work out in detangling my hair how it needs to be detangled. Instead of detangling fully it would just pull out the hairs that were knotted up. I don't think the comb is as flexible as a brush so it doesn't 'give' when it reaches a knot. Instead the stiffness just pushes the knot further down the hair and makes it tigher until the hair is pulled out with the comb. Whereas a brush seems to ease knots out of my hair.

I also found that even if combs detangles a little, they didn't get rid of all of my tangles and I would still find tangles after combing.

I do fingercomb in the shower with conditioner in my hair and sometimes will use a very widetooth comb to detangle in between washes after I've brushed when I don't want my curl/wave pattern broken up the way a brush does.

Hope that made sense. lol

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

I use both combs and brushes, so I voted for all the poll options. I use the CO method to wash my hair. After I have applied the conditioner to my hair in the shower, I will let it sit for several minutes before washing it out. I will fingercomb thro my hair quickly to loosen up the biggest of my knots and tangles while the water runs over my scalp and hair. After I'm done with my whole shower routine, I will use my wide tooth comb to completely detangle my hair and remove all my loose and shed hairs. After my hair air-dries, I will use my paddle brush to smooth out my hair.

About maybe once every two weeks or so (sometimes more often if I have a nice place to go to) I will blow out my hair straight with a round BBB brush. Even though my hair is naturally straight, when I blow it out my hair gets really sleek and super shiny, so the heat styling is something I treat myself to.

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I use them all. Fingercomb when I'm oiling, wide tooth comb when I'm detangling damp hair, regular brush when my hair finally dries, and a boar bristle brush also when my hair is fully dry to move the oil I put in a little bit down the length.

In between wash days, I'll comb or brush, depending on what's closest.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Length
    22"/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I love my BBB brush and my hair loves it too! I finger comb while my hair is air-drying, wide-tooth wooden comb several times a day to detangle, and BBB morning and evening (and sometimes in between). My hair is much happier since i got rid of all plastic combs and brushes and use my BBB so often!

Certified Organic, Cruelty-Free, Safe Cosmetics Certified skin care products!!! NYR Organics

Length
    10/53/30
    Type
    3a/M/C/ii/iii

I wasn't a brush person even before I came to LHC, but I usually only finger comb; rarely I use a wide tooth comb for updos or in the shower
    Please view my dragons
    http://dragcave.net/user/ZaBasDa

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Combs tear and break my hair.

Brush all the way!!!!
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29372&dateline=127544  1604

I just bought a wide tooth wood comb, and i already love it.
    I have used a brush all my life, and now i can see how much damage it have caused me. My hair is very fine and it just rips it.
    It was just an experiment when i bought it, i read good thing about it here on LHC and it was pretty cheap and so i thought oh well ill try it...
    I once bought a plastic wide tooth comb cause i head it was better for the hair then a brush, but i never used it, its so bad... Amazing how much of a difference there is between wood vs. plastic.

Length
    Short/Knee/???
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I do not brush my scalp