Thread: Have any indigo users switched to buxus?

Length
    bald/?/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Question Have any indigo users switched to buxus?

I'm a long time henna lover. Having two gray/white areas that just won't settle into a nice shade with repeated hennas I always have to do some indigo touchup. Amla added to my henna mix never calmed the areas either. Since indigo is kind of forever I'm thinking of switching to buxus. Anyone out there ever made that transition? Indigo gives beautiful colors mixed with henna - does buxus also remove orangy tones? I know buxus only lasts three weeks or so but I do my roots about that often anyway.

Any insite from experienced henna/indigo/buxus users would be appreciated. I know the strand test deal, but at this point there is no way I'm growing out a gray/white piece, henna-ing it orange, and then doing a bunch of strand tests on it. Thank you in advance for the help.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Have any indigo users switched to buxus?

I stopped using Indigo because it made me too itchy and because it kept going way too dark for me. I am using a henna buxus mix now and I am happy with it. For the most part, I am just attempting to get a nice dark blonde/light brown on my gray to blend it. I am using 2 parts Cassia to 1 part henna and 1 part buxus. This has been working well for the most part. I am debating on upping my henna buxus ratios to get a darker stain on the gray now. Its always a work in progress, but I am happy with using the buxus rather than the indigo. The color has not faded and remained permanent and Im not getting too much color buildup at this point. I have just been doing roots for the most part and then glossing with any leftovers on the rest.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Type
    1c/F/i

Buxus gave me a much nicer colour, closer to my own medium ash brown - my colour tests on samples of white lambswool, angora, and mohair revealed that the buxus dye colour, on its own, is a drab greyish-blue, and indigo on its own was a more vibrant, pure blue. Henna + indigo gave me a reddish-brown with purply undertones. Henna + buxus gave me a true, ashy medium brown. Unfortunately, the buxus faded out of my hair after only three shampoos, every time I used it, so I gave up. Too much time, trouble, and money for the length of time it stuck around. And it's too bad, 'cause the colour was great. If you want to try some, I still have two unopened bags left someone could have for cheap!

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Hi Patti, I think we are in the same situation with our hair, using henna to cover gray. But our difference is I never use indigo. I'm so scared to make the rest of my hair darker with indigo so I always use buxus. I've done several full head henna applications (just pure henna since my hair is very dark brown) and combination of henna/buxus on my roots which is almost 50% gray in the front. I experimented with different proportions of henna/buxus one step but what made me satisfied is a 2-step, henna applied for around 4 hrs, then buxus mixed with a little conditioner (to help with the texture) applied for an hour. This method made my gray roots match the color of the rest of my hair. it fades in about 3 weeks which is the time (just like you) i need to do my roots again. Also even if it fades, maybe become lighter but it is not really bad and I could really stretch it for another week. but my hair grows fast and looks really bad with the grays showing.

So for me buxus works. hope this helps.

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I do something similar to jju1007, except my roots mix is 1/3 each henna, buxus, indigo, with a buxus gloss on the rest, every three weeks.

I get a nice dark brown like this. Any more indigo on the length and it would be black, which wouldn't suit me. Buxus is much softer than indigo and gives nice even coverage, plus fading stops it building up too much.