Thread: I get very big knots in my hair at the nape

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    17/26/30
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default I get very big knots in my hair at the nape

so I'm 16 and I have hair that goes down to my mid back. my hair gets a very large knot at the nape of my neck all the time about 4 times a day. I had had this problem for as long as I have had long hair which is since I was young. I remember how I my parents used to take me to get a haircut and my hairdresser would get so frustrated with the knot he would just cut it out at the shoulders. however, the knots have been getting worse. I get them a lot while at school so I can't go and condition it or get a brush so I use my hands. I literally have to rip the hair to get it out and it kills! when I get them at home I also have lots of trouble getting them out. I have tried conditioners, hair picks and so much more but nothing makes it easier. why do I get these huge knots at the nape of my neck so often and what do i do to get them out!?!

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: I get very big knots in my hair at the nape

Actually, the answer isn't easy.

Hair can be uneven lengths, the ends can be rough and dry (called velcro ends), and hair may be damaged (rough and porous). All these can cause the hair to be grabby and knot itself.

Also wondering if you have mechanical damage from your nape hair rubbing on your collar.

To undo knots, slowly comb downwards with a wooden comb or fingers, when you hit a knot work the individual hairs upwards out of the tangle.
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by tinaslate18 View Post
    so I'm 16 and I have hair that goes down to my mid back. my hair gets a very large knot at the nape of my neck all the time about 4 times a day. I had had this problem for as long as I have had long hair which is since I was young. I remember how I my parents used to take me to get a haircut and my hairdresser would get so frustrated with the knot he would just cut it out at the shoulders. however, the knots have been getting worse. I get them a lot while at school so I can't go and condition it or get a brush so I use my hands. I literally have to rip the hair to get it out and it kills! when I get them at home I also have lots of trouble getting them out. I have tried conditioners, hair picks and so much more but nothing makes it easier. why do I get these huge knots at the nape of my neck so often and what do i do to get them out!?!
    Mine gets knotted like that easily, too. But it rarely gets tangled elsewhere, strangely enough...even when wet. Simplest solution: Keep it brushed. Also, certain types of clothing make it worse. For me, it's anything that has a collar or scarves. They make the back of my neck a rat's nest. So I brush it. Probably a bit too much, but still. It helps.

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Ugh! Nape tangles! I have a hard time with half-ups and low ponytails because of them. My nape hair gets really tangled too, and sometimes it feels rougher than the rest of my hair. I just detangle from the ends up.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Do you wear your hair loose every day? That could be the problem. If you try plaiting it or putting it up, it shouldn't happen.
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

Length
    24?/31.5"/32"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

I have this problem if I wear a low ponytail or a headband with an elastic strap in the back. Try an updo (with your length you could do some really cool ones). Other than that, just be conscious of it throughout the day and finger comb every few hours to keep the tangles to a minimum until you get home and can deal with it with more attention.
    To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour. – William Blake

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

It sounds like something might be causing your hair to rub together making it knot up. Updo's will prevent this. Braids can help, but may still rub against your back and clothing which can damage hair. I fingercomb regularly through the day when my hair is loose, gently sliding my fingers up from my neck along my scalp with fingers spread apart then slowly, gently take my hand away from my head, combing the hairs. I catch a lot of loose hair this way. For me, loose hairs will tie themselves around other hairs causing snarls and knots.

Hope you quickly find what is causing your hair to tangle so much!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

If you're going to wear your hair down, it's best to wear a shirt/blouse that is slippery. Best of all - don't wear it down unless you have the time to pay attention to it and enjoy it. If you're going to be too busy to watch out for it, wear it up.

Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Yeah, so do I. It happens to me when I wear my hair down all day; I am active and am walking around/moving my head for most of the day as you would be at school.
    Solutions:
    1. Wear your hair up
    2. Over-condition or oil the underneath/nape hair, especially if you wear it loose to bed
    3. flatiron your hair (at the nape or all over) as wavy hair tangles more easily than straight hair (generally speaking)
    4. Wear hair down but only with certain clothing as suggested by others; I find winter with shirts, sweaters, and jackets all at once is just knot city.

best of luck

Length
    2/34/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

I have the same problem, cause my hair type is rather fine and curly/wavy, and dyeing and bleaching really makes it worse. The nape hair forms huge dread-like knots.. It's awful! My hair now is damaged by bleaching, (what was I thinking then?!) but coconut oiling it often has helped with this problem a lot. Also seek & destroy trimming can be useful, and protective updos.
    Good luck in war against knots