Thread: Buxus dioica AKA katam

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Buxus dioica AKA katam

Here's my tests of cassia (top) and cassia + katam (bottom). The white roots are to the right of the scotch tape, and you can see the henndigoed lengths on the left of the tape. There is no "before" photo, but the roots were pure white prior to the application of the herbs. I mixed with tepid tap water and left the pastes on for approx. 8 hours.

The cassia by itself produced a very very light platinum blond. The cassia + katam seemed to produce basically the same color as katam by itself, a kind of patchy gray/green/blue. If you look at very tip of the roots you can see the colors better.

ETA: I left the pastes on overnight, and the colors did not seem any different than shown here.
    Last edited by mellie; August 3rd, 2008 at 07:56 AM. Reason: update

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Now for the art of living dangerously!

After a quick honey lightening treatment this morning, I have done my first full-head application of 50/50 henna + katam, and it is sitting on my head right now. Wish me luck! Photo results to come tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Now for the art of living dangerously!

After a quick honey lightening treatment this morning, I have done my first full-head application of 50/50 henna + katam, and it is sitting on my head right now. Wish me luck! Photo results to come tomorrow!
    Good luck!!

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I've just rinsed out!

It wasn't itchy on my head this time. My ears were a little itchy but I didn't cover them at all, so that's to be expected.

It's hard to tell right now, but the color looks pretty dark. Almost exactly the same as when I henndigo, except that the grays are a lighter copper/blond rather than red. Also the browns are more brown, than red-brown that I'd have with henndigo. Photos to come soon!

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I've just rinsed out!

It wasn't itchy on my head this time. My ears were a little itchy but I didn't cover them at all, so that's to be expected.

It's hard to tell right now, but the color looks pretty dark. Almost exactly the same as when I henndigo, except that the grays are a lighter copper/blond rather than red. Also the browns are more brown, than red-brown that I'd have with henndigo. Photos to come soon!
    Oh mellie, you're a star! Thanks for going to all this trouble - and I'm really looking forward to seeing pics!

I wonder if my katam/buxus is still viable...

Two questions. How did you prepare the mix - any additives other than water? How long did you leave it on? Thanks!
    Last edited by Celebrian; August 3rd, 2008 at 04:32 PM.

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I've just rinsed out!

So mellie, are you saying that the copper-blond in the roots darkened as it oxidised? I'm a bit confused because your roots look uniformly dark to me in the latest pic. Or is my monitor at fault here?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I just used tepid tap water, and the slightest dash of fresh lemon juice. I didn't wait for dye release, but used it immediately. I left it on for two hours. I didn't get a headache, like I usually do from henndigo! :-)

From first impression, my hair looks almost identical to when I henndigo (seems just as gosh-darn dark), just less red. My DH says it actually looks even darker (thanks, dear!....sigh).

But, we'll see after a good washing and oxidation tomorrow!

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

OK, here's the pics!

before doing the honey lightening and henna + katam:

after honey lightening, 50/50 henna + katam for 2 hours, then washed out with soapnut shampoo:

My roots were about an inch long, and were comprised of about 90% dark brown hair and 10% pure white hair. I think the last photo shows best how it came out on my roots.

RESULTS:
    -It is ridiculously shiny!
    -Still pretty dark as with henndigo, and at first glance the length seems kind of redder actually....Although, the roots seem less red than the length. I wonder if some of this can be attributed to honey lightening the indigo from my previous henndigo a few weeks ago.
    -It didn't give me a headache, which henndigo does.
    -My ears aren't as itchy afterwards either.
    -It seems very similar to indigo, just produces a somewhat lighter, less red color.
    -To get that great coppery Jennifer Aniston color, let it sit overnight first before using! I didn't do that this time.
    Last edited by mellie; August 4th, 2008 at 06:05 AM.

Thanks for all your efforts mellie. It looks great! I wonder if you will see any color change once it oxidizes.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I'll update if the color changes in the next few days! :-)