Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Buxus dioica AKA katam

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Buxus dioica AKA katam

Has anyone tried using just buxus over hair that has previously been henna'd?
    Lady Parvati, Messenger of Unity in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    21.5/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine69 View Post
    Has anyone tried using just buxus over hair that has previously been henna'd?
    I'm going to second this question. My length is pretty red from old henna/dye and I'd like to tone it down. My natural color is an ashy brown/blond. I have about 4 inches of roots.

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I ordered some buxus and some amla, and i'm going to do some experimenting on my own. I'd still love to hear from anyone who has tried this.

Length
    16"/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I wanna say at least someone did a kind of buxus gloss over their henna to tone the red down but I can for the life of me remember who that was nor where they talk about it...Maybe its all in my head....?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've been wondering the same thing (not for myself -- I like my red). Can people just apply buxus to hair that's too red or orange to darken it and counter the orange tones? Will it "stick" for at least a few weeks? I suspect that it could work...
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

I do buxus over my henna. I used to mix them together, but found that my grays get better coverage if I use just henna first, then buxus. I guess this is similar to a two step process some people use with indigo. My hair is naturally a medium ashy brown, and using the buxus definitely tones the red, and helps retain that ashy color.

A warning though, buxus can be very gritty. (I get mine from mehandi.com.) I have found mixing it with conditioner helps the application process. So, it is similar to a gloss, but a very strong gloss. I only use enough conditioner to get it to a good consistency to apply.

Jeni- there was a posting on the hennaforhair.com about a buxus gloss- maybe that is what you are thinking of?

Also, as far as fading, mine lasts a good 3-4 weeks. Then, when I do my roots with henna, I do the buxus over my whole head.

My last piece of advice is to test for timing. With full strength buxus, I got the color I wanted at 20 minutes, but with the slightly diluted mixture, I leave it on for 45 min.

Sorry this is a little long. Hope this helps!

Length
    28/36/36
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Cersei View Post
    I do buxus over my henna. I used to mix them together, but found that my grays get better coverage if I use just henna first, then buxus. I guess this is similar to a two step process some people use with indigo. My hair is naturally a medium ashy brown, and using the buxus definitely tones the red, and helps retain that ashy color.

A warning though, buxus can be very gritty. (I get mine from mehandi.com.) I have found mixing it with conditioner helps the application process. So, it is similar to a gloss, but a very strong gloss. I only use enough conditioner to get it to a good consistency to apply.

Jeni- there was a posting on the hennaforhair.com about a buxus gloss- maybe that is what you are thinking of?

Also, as far as fading, mine lasts a good 3-4 weeks. Then, when I do my roots with henna, I do the buxus over my whole head.

My last piece of advice is to test for timing. With full strength buxus, I got the color I wanted at 20 minutes, but with the slightly diluted mixture, I leave it on for 45 min.

Sorry this is a little long. Hope this helps!
    I second the strong katam gloss usage. I'm going for chocolate brown so I'm going to do a katam with some indigo strong gloss over 2 hennaings.
    FBC cream soap shampoo

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Thanks ljkforu and cersei. That was helpful I've got some buxus coming in the mail soon.

Length
    28/36/36
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine69 View Post
    Thanks ljkforu and cersei. That was helpful I've got some buxus coming in the mail soon.
    I should have clarified that the reason I'm going to add a little indigo is so my hair doesn't go to green.

Henna -- Orange/red
    Katam -- Green
    Indigo -- Blue

I'm going to be very interested to see what happens when I gloss each one in descending order over my hair going for chocolate brown
    FBC cream soap shampoo

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Honestly, from the tests on Cathrine's site and the anecdotal evidence I've heard here, I think the indigo might push you greener than katam alone will. Cathrine's site shows a very greyish sort of brown on white test hair from katam, and I've heard lots of stories about straight indigo turning hair greenish.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!