Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your hair long for religious/spiritual reasons?

Length
    18apl/31wst/36tb
    Type
    2c/M/i

Question Is your hair long for religious/spiritual reasons?

(I hope it's okay to ask something like this...I'm still a newbie here, and I wasn't sure where to put this post.)

The title pretty much sums it up...I know that some religions have grooming/modesty standards, and I've seen a few churches where it seemed like all the women had long hair, so I guessed it was probably part of the faith. But I never really knew for sure.
    In my case, it's not something my religion asks or requires, but it is something I feel spiritual about...having long hair, and the time and care involved in growing it, makes me feel more in touch with nature and the Divine, you know? And I really like that.
    What about you?

Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Default Re: Is your hair long for religious/spiritual reasons?

Well, I'm Jewish, and we're not supposed to cut our hair, but that's not the only reason I'm growing it.
    I'm growing it because I like it, and because a lot of the people around here don't appreciate long hair, and I want to be able to show them that having long, healthy hair is possible.

Yes my long hair is for religious reasons. When I was younger I had hair almost down to my ankles (I won the Illinois state ponytail contest several times), but then when I got out of church I cut my hair till it was a little shorter than touching shoulders (this was multiple cuts) and I could only get a stub of a ponytail . The last cut was in the late fall of 2004 and since then I got back in church and have been growing my hair....now it is waist lenght but it really feels like it grows slow. By the way I am Pentecostal/Apostolic. Feel free to ask any questions and I will not shove the religion down your throat.

Length
    1/4/short/n/a
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Yes and no.

I started growing my hair long for religious reasons. I was attending an apostolic pentecostal church and long hair was part of the doctrine. I have since left that church and I don't think long hair is required by God. I am continuing to grow anyway (a) because I like my long hair and (b) I am still studying my beliefs and praying about what God really wants.

ETA: It's a miracle in of itself that I didn't cut as soon as I left the church. That tends to be how my personality works. If someone tells me I have to do something, I do the opposite. But... I love my hair so I'm keeping it.
    Last edited by AJoifulNoise; July 20th, 2008 at 05:15 PM.

Curls & Kinks Galore! nappywomyn's Avatar
    Length
    bald/17/38
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii/iii

Yes - it's an aspect of the wonder that the gods shaped me into, and allowing it to be itself (in texture and length) is, for me, a way to honor my gods.

{~*~} Nappydelphia (updated!) {~*~} Official Bibliodragon {*}

Length
    15/28/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

My answer would be no. However, the vanity that motivates me is divinely pure. Does that count?
    "The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason" Benjamin Franklin

Length
    4.5in/6 in/36 in
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

My hair is not long yet, but the journey feels like a meditaion, a practice in patience. That's as close to religious as it gets

Sorry, I don't know how to edit my posts. I meant that's as close to religion as it gets for me.
    Last edited by Eboshi; July 20th, 2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: OP can't edit posts yet

no, but i have cut my hair at times for ritual/ spiritual religions. i've heard certain cultures believe memories are stored in one's hair, and i've noticed at times of great transition, cutting my hair has been part of the passage. as if i want to rid myself of old memories and start fresh.

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I'm growing it for me. No religious reasons here. For a while I thought long hair was beautiful but was too afraid of people's reactions to begin to grow it. When I got to the point where I finally started the journey I never looked back. It's been wonderful since.

Hi, My name is: Alexis AnimaSola3o4's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

This is a fascinating thread.

Personally I didn't start growing my hair out for spiritual or religious reasons. I have always loved long hair, and it suits me more than short hair. I was going to a AoG church for a long time and a lot of the women there did grow their hair very long, but it was not required by any means.

I do see the verses that pertain to long hair as positive for me though.

Also for myself, I find that the desire to have long hair is very deeply rooted in me, and sort of makes me feel connected to history in a way. I feel on some level, a connection to women of the past who have had long hair. I don't know if that makes sense or not... but I love history and tradition, and I want to be a part of it and growing my hair makes me feel like I am part of it.

That's the first time I've actually communicated those feelings... it feels good to talk about it though.

Keep your head up, makes your hair look longer! Only micro-trimming from here on out!!! YAY!!