Thread: Hi all! New here, hoping to undo 10 yrs of straightening + 4 yrs of bleach damage

Length
    18/18/32

Default Hi all! New here, hoping to undo 10 yrs of straightening + 4 yrs of bleach damage

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster! I have 2a-2b hair that I have been religiously straightening (from ~15-26 years) and more recently bleaching. My hair used to grow extremely quickly with very little breakage, but in the last few years it breaks pretty severely before it reaches mid-back. I have also had a lot of pretty terrible stress in my life in the last few years, so this has likely exacerbated the hair loss.
    Currently my hair is a bit longer than armpit length.

Two weeks ago I threw out my straightener, blow-drier, and cancelled all of my hair bleaching appointments. At first hair looked pretty wild and a matted frizz bomb but in just two weeks of only using L'occitane shampoo, conditioner, + a bit of oil as leave-in, it is so much smoother and shiny. The ends are still dry but I will keep doing regular trims.

What is annoying is I've noticed that my hair is only a bit wavy...it really didn't need to be fried by heat three times a week but oh well...

I am going to start using rosemary + castor oil from my roots to ends in the day before my shower. Hopefully my hair will grow to my waist in the next two years! If you have any suggestions for how to grow fine, fragile, heat AND chemically damaged hair please let me know!

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Hi all! New here, hoping to undo 10 yrs of straightening + 4 yrs of bleach damage

Welcome
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Hi all! New here, hoping to undo 10 yrs of straightening + 4 yrs of bleach damage

Howdy, good to meet you! Admittedly hair can change with age, but I expect that you will see your old growth pattern/resilience back now that you have cut out two big sources of damage. Good luck : )

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Nice to meet you! You've made some smart first steps and will see improvement in no time. Happy growing
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    18/18/32

Thanks everyone! I hope I can get my wavy hair back. Till then I'll use braids!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by QueenLapis View Post
    Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster! I have 2a-2b hair that I have been religiously straightening (from ~15-26 years) and more recently bleaching. My hair used to grow extremely quickly with very little breakage, but in the last few years it breaks pretty severely before it reaches mid-back. I have also had a lot of pretty terrible stress in my life in the last few years, so this has likely exacerbated the hair loss.
    Currently my hair is a bit longer than armpit length.

Two weeks ago I threw out my straightener, blow-drier, and cancelled all of my hair bleaching appointments. At first hair looked pretty wild and a matted frizz bomb but in just two weeks of only using L'occitane shampoo, conditioner, + a bit of oil as leave-in, it is so much smoother and shiny. The ends are still dry but I will keep doing regular trims.

What is annoying is I've noticed that my hair is only a bit wavy...it really didn't need to be fried by heat three times a week but oh well...

I am going to start using rosemary + castor oil from my roots to ends in the day before my shower. Hopefully my hair will grow to my waist in the next two years! If you have any suggestions for how to grow fine, fragile, heat AND chemically damaged hair please let me know!

I've done exactly what you're looking to do (grew out severely damaged chemically destroyed hair)! you can read about it here in detail, and also there's an article linked in my signature about rehabilitating damaged hair.

My one caution to your plan is that castor oil is very drying and I wouldn't recommend it on your length, scalp only for the growth benefits

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome!

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    I've done exactly what you're looking to do (grew out severely damaged chemically destroyed hair)! you can read about it here in detail, and also there's an article linked in my signature about rehabilitating damaged hair.

My one caution to your plan is that castor oil is very drying and I wouldn't recommend it on your length, scalp only for the growth benefits
    I don't know how I never saw this article about rehabilitating damaged hair! It's full of solid advice and helpful links. A lot of it I'm already doing, but I feel like a whole new world (of information) just opened up for me to explore. Thank you so much for putting it in your signature! So, so helpful
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SandyBottom View Post
    I don't know how I never saw this article about rehabilitating damaged hair! It's full of solid advice and helpful links. A lot of it I'm already doing, but I feel like a whole new world (of information) just opened up for me to explore. Thank you so much for putting it in your signature! So, so helpful
    You're so welcome! I actually expanded it into a full-fledged book, but I wanted to keep the article that inspired it linked here